Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving Day!  (Read 1173 times)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Moving Day!
« on: July 29, 2009, 06:12:13 pm »

Just wondering if y'all ever move your fortress to new spot. I have just a small starting base - barracks, farm for pig and plump. Above ground rope reed farm. Dining Hall. And 14 rooms for my 14 dwarfs, workshops, ext. Is it a pain? What's easiest way? Should I just keep going and expand awkwardly? ???

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Day!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 06:33:02 pm »

What do you mean? Move to a different embark location or you mean a redesign?

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 06:34:25 pm »

Redesign. Can you move a fortress though?!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 06:37:13 pm »

If you mean physically move the entire mountain which your fortress is dug into and move it many miles away, no, although it would be pretty damn dwarven for sure. However, depending on your embark square size, you should have plenty of room to do a relocation and dig in a different part of your embark area.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 07:30:15 pm »

it is possible to just dig in a new area of the embark, leaving the old area behind. But if you mean on the world screen then no. you'll have to abandon and then start fresh elsewhere.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 10:33:06 pm »

Yeah, same embark place. Is there easier way to do it? They keep walking the long long walk back and forth.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 10:37:46 pm »

They only walk back if you have a reason for them to.

Remove all zones, furniture and constructions, then designate stockpiles in the new area and remove all stockpiles in the old area. Once all of your stuff is moved over you should have no traffic back to the old hole.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 10:45:44 pm »

Dig out the new base.
Construct all the workshops.
Make sure most dwarves aren't working.
Set stockpiles, starting (or ending) with food (it rots.)
Remove food stockpile from original location.
After food is transported, deconstruct all the old stuff and remove all old stockpiles.

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 10:56:14 pm »

of course unless you have a meeting area, the dwarves will still hang out near the wagon area, which could be why your dwarves walk back and forth if your current fort is built near there.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 12:11:33 pm »

The way to do it, in my experience, is dig a wide tunnel from one area to the other, and start setting up stockpiles and rooms.

place a small food and booze stock pile out there, along with some beds, so the miners/ masons don't have to run all the way back to the temporary fort.

The best time to move is the winter, or, after you've finished trading in autumn.

Then, when you're ready, move the stockpiles by placing new ones of adequate size and getting rid of the old ones. Deconstruct all furniture, set up the new barracks and meeting area so the dwarves and animals will move.

Because dwarves can go for a while without food/drink, I'd suggest moving those stockpiles last.

Finally, seal up the tunnel/entrances to the old fort.

This will keep your butt defended and provide a fall-back point if things go awry, or eventually become part of your defense perimeter.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 04:48:29 pm »

I do it, and it's a pain, no doubt.  But I like to dig into soil first, and then move to stone once I know what's out there - meh, we all have our crosses to bear.

I start with a dormitory and spring Trade depot.  Then food/booze stockpiles that pull from the depot area - being able to have dwarves sleep, eat and drink where they are working is critical.  The miners/masons/military move in first, followed by whatever shops I need most.

It's slow, it's cludgey, it's never satisfying until you're done, and you're never really done, because there's always crap left behind that you wish wasn't.  It's DF all the way.

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 11:25:16 pm »

If you are in stone layers you could move all your stuff out then construct walls invthe rooms. But there's no way to move a soild pile of walls and floors to a new location

Wardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 12:10:38 am »

I do it when my diggers/builders will take too long to carve rooms for the food/booze industry. It's impossible to build a big tower without setting up a temporary fort first because it takes ages to construct every floor and wall and stair. The thing is, the longer you wait, the greater the pain if you want to move stuff, because there will be more stuff to be moved. Or you can just leave it all behind and build/harvest everything again in the new spot.

But what to do with the abandoned temporary fort? I usually make it into a grave-yard or a liquid reservoir for traps.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 02:34:26 am »

TC farm ftw.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 03:00:04 pm »

I do it when my diggers/builders will take too long to carve rooms for the food/booze industry. It's impossible to build a big tower without setting up a temporary fort first because it takes ages to construct every floor and wall and stair. The thing is, the longer you wait, the greater the pain if you want to move stuff, because there will be more stuff to be moved. Or you can just leave it all behind and build/harvest everything again in the new spot.

But what to do with the abandoned temporary fort? I usually make it into a grave-yard or a liquid reservoir for traps.
Combination graveyard/magma resovior FTW!
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.