Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: animal traps and large gem bait, what the heck is attracted by that bait???  (Read 688 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm just wondering what vermin would be attracted by that one as I am placing some animal traps to get rid of a few cave spiders in my TC farm (which is under construction, 80% dug out) and noticed that as a bait option.

Personally, I'm going to go for meat which is the obvious choice for cave spiders.

Edit: Checked the wiki and no info regarding what can be captured with large gems.

Edit2: Small update, I've gotten a catch and release program going with the olms :P and I'm not sure, but it looks like the cave spiders are reproducing? I was planning on flooding the chamber which theoretically should kill any cave spiders left.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 07:20:12 am by smjjames »

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile

Yes, vermin can spontaneously appear, i.e. teleport out of nowhere. So even if you'd made it airtight, it would still generate vermin.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, they tend to stay near the UG river, so it shouldn't be a big issue.

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile

Perhaps a small gem as bait will lure and capture kobold thieves?
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile

Im thinking of things like crows.You know crows like shiny stuff.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why would you remove the cave spiders? Just turn off automatic cloth-ing, lock the cats out the farm, and ignore.
If the webs bother you, hide them.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a kobold attempt to steal an expensive large cut gem once.