Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simple Suggestion - Caravan Arrival delay  (Read 1639 times)

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Simple Suggestion - Caravan Arrival delay
« on: July 14, 2009, 08:41:13 am »

I would like there to be some delay between the caravan arrival and the caravan bypassing inaccessible sites.

I would like to have the opption of keeping the fort in lockdown without auto-disrupting trade.

A few options:

I) Have the caravan have two possible targets when it arrives:  1) Depot  2) Exit point

If you can't make the depot accessible before they reach the exit, you lose the oppoturnity for accesssing the full caravan

II) Have the diplomat come in advance of the caravan to let you know it's arrival is imminent.

III) Have the caravan arrive and enter a "seeking depot access" phase where you can then prepare the bridges etc. for their arival.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Suggestion - Caravan Arrival delay
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:59:00 am »

I like II the best (I reminds me of Tower Defense Juggling)

It might be intended as a gamey way to stop people from doing exactly what you intend.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 10:23:57 am »

It'd still be a good idea though if it came in after reworks to traps, sieges, and the ability to completely make an impenetrable fortress with (almost) no consequence.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 12:02:59 pm »

Wagons shouldn't show up at all until a proper route is open to the civ, be it a tunnel, road or open plains. Forts in the middle of a large forest would have to rely on horseback merchants until they can spare the manpower or recruit someone to clear a road. Clearing a path to the map edge and leaving no stumps behind is sorely video gamey

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 09:33:20 pm »

s until they can spare the manpower or recruit someone to clear a road. Clearing a path to the map edge and leaving no stumps behind is sorely video gamey
Dragons. Problem solved

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 02:24:30 am »

Personally, I think a higher level of control over some aspects of caravans would be nice.

1. Ok, only bring horses until someone (probably the player if you're as impatient about getting trade moving as I am) pays for a nice road. I don't even mind if it costs exorbitant amounts of money, as long as I can control/influence it somehow.

2. Ok, bring what you want to sell or can spare, but why not also allow guilds/mayor/broker meet with someone(s) and order specific things in specific quantities... Making a trade agreement basically. A real trade agreement--I offer this, you offer that, we haggle, then sign the papers. You show, I give what I said I would, wham bam thank you for your business. If I fail to meet my end, I have to provide more of the goods up front and give you a better deal in the future, and if I am steady as a rock meeting my agreements, maybe over time you offer more. Basically caravans get more tolerant if you treat them well, and less if you treat them like crap.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 08:56:51 am »

I think this could tie in with your fort affecting the world at large: your civ could build a road up to one map edge, and you build a road from your fort entrance to it. This road would appear on the world map just like the ones made in chargen, and, as dwarves, the civ could even dig a tunnel to you, allowing underground access.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 03:42:30 pm »

Makes you wonder where they get all the stone for paved roads of that magnitude in the 1400s. Really, only heavily trafficked roads should warrant something like that. Dirt roads would need a rework though and tree stumps must be implemented. Constructing a road through a forest would take quite some time so your little settlement would probably have to make do with horse caravans for several years if you settle in such a locale. No biggie as long as they actually bring more than 2 mules. Independent merchants might do that but not larger scale entrepreneurs

Constructing tunnels should take many, many years and have high requirements before they'll bother. It's quite the security risk so it would not be granted to just any little hovel

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 03:46:07 pm »

It is odd that somehow building a road to the end of my little forest somehow makes the entire forest traversable. I'm tempted to make a road that goes all the way from the mountain home to my main fortress, and do it all using other fortresses in a neat little line.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:58:43 pm »

1. Ok, only bring horses until someone (probably the player if you're as impatient about getting trade moving as I am) pays for a nice road. I don't even mind if it costs exorbitant amounts of money, as long as I can control/influence it somehow.
Having a road tax would repay any costs that the road incurred.
And if you want to have a break from the merchants put the tax up to an unpayable amount. But if some other race builds the road then they have more control of the welfare of your fortress than you do.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 10:49:35 pm »

Having a road tax would repay any costs that the road incurred.
And if you want to have a break from the merchants put the tax up to an unpayable amount. But if some other race builds the road then they have more control of the welfare of your fortress than you do.
I think the leaders of civilization will likely exert control over such taxation efforts -- they wouldn't want trade to be snarled up with many small groups each charging a toll for their stretch of road.  For example, see the Germany section in this wikipedia article below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robber_baron

Note that this could be used as an incentive for the player not to murder his nobles.  The King won't let a mere outpost charge taxes, but if you have a Baron, he can charge road taxes and your fortress gets extra income....

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 09:14:59 am »

Basically caravans get more tolerant if you treat them well, and less if you treat them like crap.

To be fair, they already do this. The more profit you send them off with, the more value in goods they send back. Try sending away a caravan with 20,000 profit, they'll bring more wagons next year. It's a great way to spike trade.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 08:20:00 pm »

I just put doors between the depot and the rest of the fortress.  Accessible depot without letting people in.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.