Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So your dwarves are dead, what happens now?  (Read 1159 times)

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
So your dwarves are dead, what happens now?
« on: July 20, 2009, 11:26:48 am »

Some unknown event occured at Tradesnarls that crashed my FPS. The game became unplayable. It started when the humans came and tried trading at two different trade depots. Some of the wagons got stuck. Eventually I had to tear out some walls to let them through but they didn't stay at the trading center for long. They destroyed their wagons (they show up as deceased entities in legends) and gradually left. A few soldiers stuck around outside for a season and I thought that wast he cause of it. But even after they went, the game was basically over.

So the next siege that showed up, I succumbed to it.

What happens now? I briefly checked through legends to see what had happened to some of the dwarves whose names I remember. All seemed to die of starvation, though some in different locations. What exactly happened there? I can't find any that died at the hands of the goblins. I had the queen at my castle. You'd think that my civilization would be upset at the goblin civ for destroying this fort and killing the queen. But no, she died of starvation too, and while we're not at war we still have the uneasiness between us that is ---------------.

Who will be the next ruler? What will happen to the civ? And is there really any difference between succumbing to the invasion and abandoning the fortress?
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: So your dwarves are dead, what happens now?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 11:32:07 am »

Well, in all of my fortresses I've abandoned rather than succumbing, and they all show up in legends as having fled to another place and joined another group. It could be the the siege default is that they all locked the doors and starved to death.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 12:09:11 pm »

apparently they forgot about the plump helmet farms(in my fortress anyway, the entrence to my mine is indoors)
Hello Hunam

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 05:42:36 pm »

Well, after your fortress is overrun, it is customary to pillage the place in Adventure mode. Have fun.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 06:34:05 pm »

Even better would be to pillage your fort BEFORE it's abandoned.

I can't wait for the ability to leave your fort on standby.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 06:38:34 pm »

standby? what, the dwarves do sod all and nothing happens? how would that work? stasis?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 07:06:26 pm »

I hear that's coming in some release (not the next one, I don't think). The ability to leave your fort without abandoning it. I'd presume that the amount of workshops and farms and stockpiles govern most action. Of course, if it's subject to the ravages of worldgen, you'll need a 'proper' army since it won't take into account the fact that you've designed bridge-traps, fortifications and chokepoints.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 07:09:27 pm »

Yeah... that sounds like one feature I won't be taking advantage of.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 02:45:33 pm »

Sounds like one I will. I left my last fort thriving. Unfortunately, I didn't know that leaving during a siege would kill them all. I often get to a point with a fort and then grow bored with it.

This time I regenned (again!) to play the orc mod. Temperature and heat on, but max 40 dwarves. I guess I just don't have the computing power to play larger forts. I do play with a 120x75 grid on a win machine. Maybe that's my problem, but it's not something I can go back from anymore.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".