Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carved furniture  (Read 1022 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Carved furniture
« on: July 16, 2009, 10:17:56 pm »

Essentially, I'd like it to be possible to Designate a square to be turned into any furniture that can be built of the rock that is there. For example, if you want a cabinet, you have the option of building it as normal, or telling your dwarves to carve one out in place. Carved furniture would, of course, be immovable.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carved furniture
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 10:50:12 pm »

Question... why? If you're having issues with the labor involved, wait for an immigrant wave. Haulers are dime a dozen, they can haul the stones to a stockpile next to the mason's shop, he carves it, then they haul it back. Otherwise I can't see any real purpose to this other than to clutter up the 'D'esignate menue.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 11:06:18 pm »

Honestly, it's mainly for asthetic reasons. I'd rather like it. As far as "cluttering" the designate menu, it would all be lumped under a sumbenu, the way floors and walls are in the build menu.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:17:01 pm »

The only ascetic difference I see here is carved furniture would be permanent. Sounds pointless in a non-dwarfy way. It's not a bad idea, just not a good one either, time doesn't need to be spent on this.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 11:31:53 pm »

While carving chairs etc is completely pointless, don't discount the prospect of turning your walls into shelves or catacombs. Obviously only accessible from one side akin to engravings

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:06:27 am »

That's mostly what I wanted.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 12:08:08 am »

While carving chairs etc is completely pointless, don't discount the prospect of turning your walls into shelves or catacombs. Obviously only accessible from one side akin to engravings

OK, that I'll buy. If carving into walls was used for storing things like corpses in a catacomb or alcohol in a wine cellar it could be interesting. I'm still not sure I about it, but it seems like a reasonable suggestion.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 07:18:01 am »

I kind of like it...
It would be easier than having to move furniture and it should give dwarves a minor happyness boost.