Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Obsidian making  (Read 608 times)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Obsidian making
« on: July 13, 2009, 09:15:03 pm »

So I'm going to embark on my first obsidian generator. Just a couple of questions to help me get this right:

Does it make a difference whether I add water to magma or water to magma?

How much water does a 7/7 magma tile evaporate before it turns to obsidian? I'd like to calculate this one precisely so I don't have excess water or magma slopping everywhere.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian making
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:27:25 pm »

I've never done this, but...the wiki entry on Magma is your friend.  Answers all your questions, as near as I can tell.

Mechanical Yeti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:49:25 pm »

It shouldn't matter which goes into which.

Water and magma cancel each other out completely. So 7/7 water is canceled out by 7/7 magma. No more or less.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:55:13 pm »

Magma will evaporate a 1/7 tile of water without producing obsidian. Apart from that, any quantity of magma and any quantity of water in a single tile will create obsidian. For my current obsidian farm I use a pair of 3*3 rooms to measure the amount of water and obsidian to drop into the mould.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 12:15:17 am »

There is a definitive thread on magma farming here:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26805.0

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 06:40:55 am »

Ah, excellent. Thanks.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

yuhhaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 11:08:48 am »

I used a 7x9 (x7) = water drop to magma. the magma reservoir is also 7x7. the magma farm is 13x13 so I can have 2/7 magma, pour >2/7 water onto it. the 7x7 water reservoir has 2 floodgate output to 2 obsidian farms. It combines the water and magma effectively leaving 1 tile of excess water to evaporate. I purposely did this to avoid inadequate water to cover all the magma.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 01:39:52 pm »

Firnz- np.

The most important concept is that, if you are using a retracting bridge to drop the water (or the magma), it must be two z-levels up from the future obsidian.  If it's just one up, it interferes with channeling out the finished product.

For the "perfect amount" of water, use a two-stage system.  Your retractable bridge(s) will need about 2/7 of water - a little less if you want faster evaporation, but too little will leave un-transformed magma, a bad thing.

Take the size of the bridge(s), and multiply their size by 2 (or 1.9 or 1.5 or whatever) to determine the total water you need.  Dig a "feeding" reservoir of that amount/7 above that.  Put a hatch on the drainage end and a drawbridge on the inflow end, so when the hatch is open the floodgate is closed, and vice versa.

So if your bridge is 10x9, that's 90.  90/2 = 45, and 45/7 = about 6.5 - so I'd dig it 6 tiles big. About 42 water* will fall onto your retractable bridge each time you cycle that - when the water pours out, nothing pours in; when the outflow is closed the inflow opens, and it fills 100%, no more no less.

(* less some left over as 1/7 pool.  In theory, if every tile of the 6-large reserve kept 1/7 water except the hatch, you'd only get 40.  For higher accuracy, you could have a 2nd retractable bridge above your main one.)

If/as you want to refine the amount of water, you can make the reservoir 1 tile larger (7/7 more), or put a wall in for 1 tile (7/7 less) smaller, changing the total amount of water by about 6-7 each time (depending on whether 1/7 is left or not.)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 03:08:36 pm »

Excess water/magma is dwarvenly. Also, it lets you correct screwups.

I mean, I flooded a chunk of my fort with magma while expanding the forges. Since I'd already made plans for an obsidian farm there, it was a simple matter to just flood the area with a whole load of water, then dig out the channel to make another tower-cap farm with the low water remaining there.

As for excesses, my prior fort had about 10 tiles of 7/7 magma in the farm, with a pair of pumps left on for a good while, pumping sourced water from the brook.
I eventually had to build an aqueduct into an expanded murky pool to cope with the runoff.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.