Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Another Tower Help thread  (Read 1059 times)

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
Re: Another Tower Help thread
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 11:51:00 pm »

I think you can put workshops and stuff on floors though.

I think Albedo's referring to not being able to build things that are built from the b-C menu.

I just finished a 9 z-level, 3-wide water pump tower and giant aqueduct to help refill my monster siege flooding cistern.  Scaffolding is your friend, though I'd recommend putting it on the outside if you plan on removing it later.  Otherwise, getting the corner wall in requires building a single floor out, building the corner wall, then removing the floor tile.  Unless someone has a better suggestion that I've missed somehow.

Oh dear, I was using D - U stairs instead of b - C stairs

Thanks guys, I think I can take it from here =] Sorry to bother.

I still do that  ::)

dorfstep

• Bay Watcher
  • Dubstepper For Life
    • View Profile
    • My Tripstep/Freak Folk Music
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 01:47:21 am »

Doing a human city now, enjoying it greatly.

How do I put a roof over a building without trapping the carpenter? I think the only way for me to seal off the roof is to take out the stairs and replace it with a floor but that will leave him trapped right?

My Freak Folk/Tripstep Projects

“The most exquisite paradox… as soon as you give it all up, you can have it all. As long as you want power, you can't have it. The minute you don't want power, you'll have more than you ever dreamed possible.”
~Ram Dass

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 01:57:01 am »

Go up from the outside with stairs, remove it when done.  This is a general exterior scaffolding concept.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 04:48:47 am »

I usually just leave the down stairs on the roof, and stick a hatch cover over it.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 01:06:02 pm »

I think Albedo's referring to not being able to build things that are built from the b-C menu.

And you would be correct.  The OP was about building a tower, not workshops.

My last one, I didn't know that the dwarfs had a preference to do your bidding backwards and so two masons got trapped on the third floor.

LIFO - Last In, First Out - The last order in is the first order filled.  It's an odd concept to internalize, but once you do you can use it to your advantage. 

The downside is that if you are "almost done" with one phase of construction, and then designate a bunch more (even w/ LIFO in mind), everything that was not finished of the previous phase gets delayed until everything else after that is done.

The solution, unsatisfactory but the only one, is to then cancel all that's left of the previous phase and re-designate it, so it becomes the new "Last In" order, and gets done before the next phase.
Pages: 1 [2]