Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Darn, didn't work.  (Read 1131 times)

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
Darn, didn't work.
« on: July 12, 2009, 04:22:21 pm »

Taking a kobold through adventure mode lately since I'm a glutton for suffering and pain. 

Anyway, I've got a guy who has survived enough to go on a certain death violence quest against every civ.

So, he's exploring the desert and it's a Giant Desert Scorpion ambush, but conveniently close to a river.  With loads of our usual deadly fishies.

So, I jump in, the fish scatter, and the Scorpion stops at the last spot I occupied on the other bank.  I take a circuitous route back to the river, so that the fish run from me towards the GDS.  When the combat messages appear, I jump in the water, and slash at the fish who are foolish enough to run from the Scorpion and towards the kobold.  Anyway, some Sturgeon rip the GDS apart, and after it's over I see the usual messages.

The Sturgeon spits out the chunks, etc.

And one in particular.

The Sturgeon spits out the Giant Desert Scorpion stinger.

ooooooh!  I have to have that.

So, I grab it, considering the fun this could be, and:

Boooo.   Didn't work.

I'm basically bludgeoning with it, instead of piercing, and no venom injection either.  It did seem to be a long shot, but I had to give it a try.

KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

saihenjin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Darn, didn't work.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 05:04:19 pm »

even if it didn't work, i'd say it's a GREAT point for future adventure mode development. especially with poisons coming up soon. i'd say a stinger's good to give poison on the next 5 hits, maximum. You do still need the whole scorpion to make more y'know... venom.

Piercing damage, definitely.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 06:17:12 am »

When we can breed animals together in DF you'll slowly be able to mix together animals until one day you get those kittens with stingers you've always wanted. Then have them in adventure mode, and BAM catsplosion suddenly seems like a good thing.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 12:39:28 pm »

I once modded it so humans had a venomous bite.

The age of the humans came within 60 years of world gen

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 10:09:03 am »

You should make this a suggestion.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 10:33:47 am »

When we can breed animals together in DF you'll slowly be able to mix together animals until one day you get those kittens with stingers you've always wanted. Then have them in adventure mode, and BAM catsplosion suddenly seems like a good thing.
Then you can get their poison.Definately a good thing.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 01:15:09 pm »

Oh great :P

Now I really want to give cats a venemous bite, make then naturally occuring in jungles, give them a high birth rate, and make them not like the elves. Heck, I might just make everyone not like the elves  :D

Oh! And after that I want to make them into a playable race. I will make them faster, able to rip people to shreds, make them eat their victims, even humans, give them adamantine claws...

Oh yes, this could be awesome!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 01:17:05 pm by Volatar »
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 01:51:44 pm »

Oh great :P

Now I really want to give cats a venemous bite, make then naturally occuring in jungles, give them a high birth rate, and make them not like the elves. Heck, I might just make everyone not like the elves  :D

Oh! And after that I want to make them into a playable race. I will make them faster, able to rip people to shreds, make them eat their victims, even humans, give them adamantine claws...

Oh yes, this could be awesome!  ;D

Just make a race of bears with a venomous bite who's natural prey is elves. Then let the hilarity commence

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 02:04:50 pm »

This actually came up a couple months ago in a FotF thread.  It won't be possible in the next version, but Toady definitely has it in mind as something he'd like to make possible at some point.

Quote from: Emperor Iones
Will I be able to rip and tear a GCS's venom-dripping fang and stab it with it to paralyze it?
Will it be immune?!

They don't drip, unfortunately, unless you make them work by secretion instead of a special injection attack.  If you did it that way...  I think that would partially work.  A sever transfers contaminants, so assuming the secretion, you'd get a venom-covered fang (hopefully not a contact poison or you have gloves on!).  However, I don't think the game would react correctly to using the fang as a weapon.  There's still not a strong enough notion of body shape -- it still works through attack properties, so the stabbing would be lost as things stand.  You'd be able to transfer the venom, but not as an injection.  The question of immunity is up to the raws.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 03:44:51 pm »

This actually came up a couple months ago in a FotF thread.  It won't be possible in the next version, but Toady definitely has it in mind as something he'd like to make possible at some point.

Quote from: Emperor Iones
Will I be able to rip and tear a GCS's venom-dripping fang and stab it with it to paralyze it?
Will it be immune?!

They don't drip, unfortunately, unless you make them work by secretion instead of a special injection attack.  If you did it that way...  I think that would partially work.  A sever transfers contaminants, so assuming the secretion, you'd get a venom-covered fang (hopefully not a contact poison or you have gloves on!).  However, I don't think the game would react correctly to using the fang as a weapon.  There's still not a strong enough notion of body shape -- it still works through attack properties, so the stabbing would be lost as things stand.  You'd be able to transfer the venom, but not as an injection.  The question of immunity is up to the raws.

So it wouldn't work as we want it to, but you could slap someone on the forehead with a fandand poison would magically transfer over?

Awesome.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.