Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can it float?  (Read 578 times)

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can it float?
« on: July 11, 2009, 07:43:18 pm »

This is a question that has been bugging me, and I've not yet been able to find a suitable site to test this out on in the game. My question for the game (that some of you may be able to answer before I do something stupid) is this: Can a building float, and, if not, what happens?

Say I have a lake. And this lake freezes every winter. Winter comes, and I dig into the ice 1-level down, 3x3. On z-level -1 I build a floor and walls. On z-level 0, I build floors for a ceiling and a nice little hatch. And then I dump a kitten into it, seal the hatch, and wait for spring.

So what we have is:
Code: [Select]
+++
+X+
+++

===
=k=
===

So, the question is: What happens? Will it crash to the bottom? Will it sink? Will it float?

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can it float?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 07:51:09 pm »

Floatation is not modelled normally, however as far as I know there is still a bug that makes buildings that were once supported by lake ice continue to "float" even after the ice has melted or the water itself has drained away.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 01:06:00 am »

Floatation is not modelled normally, however as far as I know there is still a bug that makes buildings that were once supported by lake ice continue to "float" even after the ice has melted or the water itself has drained away.

This is great news for airship engineers :D

What if there is no ice, only water? If I build something on top of a lake and remove the floor that connects it to land, what will happen? If it stays in place, will it stay in place once the water is drained?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 01:10:11 am »

It will collapse.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 09:54:12 pm »

Does it collapse like there is no water? I'm curious how the game handles that. Other than that, I was just curious what would happen. Appreciate the help.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 11:11:01 pm »

I believe liquids are treated like they aren't there in cave ins, I tried it inadvertently when I dropped water into the middle of a magma pipe. I ended up with a long pillar of obsidian (magma splashed up to meet the water, forming a connecting piece of obsidian). The cave in fell as fast as an air cave in though.

The game doesn't currently model fluid dynamics beyond areas of high water flowing into areas of lower water and some basic pressure models. Cities cannot float, though they can be supported by a single pillar of soap. Dwarven physics are only loosely based on reality, get used to it.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325