Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Funny Times on DF  (Read 1584 times)

Summoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Funny Times on DF
« on: July 12, 2009, 09:47:58 am »

On this thread post funny things that happened in DF. One of mine is i was building a new fort and it said my woodcutter was scared by a racoon so i find him and he just standing and i tell him to go cut another tree and then i keep telling miners to dig out the base and i look outside seeing what the other dwarfs are doing and there was 6 racoons and 5 bears killing each other like 3 blocks from my door with couple blocks of Blood,Vomit,Bear Chuncks,Racoon Chuncks.
Ahhh A Bunny Carp! Run

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
Re: Funny Times on DF
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 12:12:51 pm »

I played normally
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

vatt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 01:27:35 pm »

I had a dragon get killed in a booze explosion recently. It decided it would be a good idea to flame a human caravan filled with booze. This led to a big explosion that wiped out the caravan and started a wildfire on the map. This was fun as lots of my dorfs proced to try and loot the flaming things.

MagmaTwelve

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 01:45:26 pm »

Just a second ago, I found that the cistern I had converted into cheap bedrooms had fulfilled it's purpose... As a cistern. Luckily, my paranoia made me make pressure-plate activated floodgates in every corridor, so all I have now is four levels of flooded stairwell.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 02:20:59 pm »

I recently added orcs to my game since I wasn't satisfied with the "threat" that gobbos provided. Needlessly to say, my first few forts were smashed to pieces.

My latest fort has a pressure-activated retracting bridge over a pool of water. When the first siege came, it wasn't ready yet. The pit's next to a brook and I hadn't enclosed the area yet, just built the 3 walls to put pressure plates on. So orcs would come barreling up, onto the bridge, it'd give way and they'd fall. Took no damage, so they got back up again while the rest just hung around at the ledge, watching them. Well sometimes a leader would fall. And then the whole horde would leave the bridge entrance and flood down to the pit. They'd get their act together and then come barreling back up again, and then fall. All the meanwhile, I am cackling.

I'd say they went at it like this for a good month, until eventually one or two of quicker ones made across or went flying into my open doorway when the bridge fell. They then decimated my very green military. Unsatisfied, I savescummed.

Took me 3 or 4 reloads to get past that siege. I eventually resorted to making some crossbows and bolts, equipping my wrestlers with them and letting them go to town on the ones that hadn't fallen into the now completed pit.

On the plus side, the assembly is now complete, and thins out their numbers very nicely. Nothing like dropping a bunch of orcs into a cistern to let them drown. I'm just disappointed in how poorly water pushes things.

Daki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 02:25:18 pm »

I played normally
Really?That's hilarious! :D

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 07:05:23 pm »

I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 12:37:57 am »

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 12:43:17 am »

I just had a fortress last less than 1 second... yay sinister woodlands with a stream! Finally an embark with undead, magma, water and flux stone!

Wait, why are all my dwarves running even before I've paused the game to look around?

Durr Hurr Skeletal Carp...

edit : Bonus Picture http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc9/Baron_Sengir/DwarfFortress2009-07-1308-40-48-00.jpg
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:45:59 am by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Mechanical Yeti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 01:27:26 am »

After arriving at the embark site, my wagon was directly next to the magma pipe. That did not turn out well for a couple of my dwarves...

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 12:03:51 pm »

My bone carver was minding her own business, decorating random crap with bone and shell, when some random peasant went fey and kicked her out of her Craftsdwarf's shop.

The peasant demanded a whole bunch of things that I didn't have, like (giant?) cave spider cloth, rough gems, and crystal glass, so he just sat there for a few months until he went melancholy and threw himself into my well.

My bone carver went back to work. About a month later, some random immigrant who had literally just arrived became possessed, and seized the workshop. Evidently, he needed some kind of black cloth. Needless to say, I was unable to procure the cloth, so he went berserk and was taken down by the fortress guard.

The bone carver went back to work. A month went by, and another, without incident. However, about two seasons later, yet another peasant was taken by a mood. Guess what workshop he went for?

Wrong! The dwarf was taken by a FELL mood, and proceeded to slaughter a nearby child. Incidentally, the child belonged to my bone carver! The peasant then proceeded to make a dwarf leather glove out of the remains. (Which was shortly thereafter stolen my a Rhesus Macaque.)

What happened next? Well, my bone carver was devastated by the loss (and she really wasn't happy in the first place) so she went melancholy. About a month later, she followed the first peasant and cast herself to a watery grave at the bottom of a well.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 12:08:40 pm »

you're lucky. My melancholic dwarves try to kill themselves by jumping onto magma. I managed to get the equipment of a spontaneously melancholic dwarf (he became depressed because of too long patrol duties), by strategically locking doors, so that he had to pass over a spike/lever trap.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SwiftAusterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 12:17:14 pm »

My current amusement is with my bridge/plate southern defense. A random collection of 2x2 and 2x3 bridges and lots of pressure plates filling the southern corridor.

Sieger 1 steps on plate, causing a random amount of siegers to be thrown into a wall towards the north after X seconds. They stumble around, inevitably stepping on more plates which leads to more crushing and throwing. Basically like an automated ping pong game with bridges and siegers.

Eventually they all get crushed or lightly injured enough times to be seriously injured. It prolongs the siege quite a bit and causes random caravan deaths depending on where caravans are during the siege. It's hilarious to watch, though.

Mechanical Yeti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 05:22:59 pm »

Done in true DF fashion. "It's not practical or very effective, but I'm building it anyway!"

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 07:40:31 pm »

One time I tried to embark near a lake. I get to the map and my dwarves are standing /on/ the frozen lake. Which promptly unfroze. Shortest lived fortress ever.