Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salt Water  (Read 448 times)

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
Salt Water
« on: July 14, 2009, 01:40:25 pm »

Alright, so I'm trying out an ocean side fort(it's evil), and I was wondering if desalinated water touches salt water, will it become re-salinated? So if a single drop of salt water got in a cistern, it would make it completely salt?
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Salt Water
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 01:44:03 pm »

Yes, and more.

Read the wiki: "water", also "screw pump" on desalinization.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 01:47:49 pm »

Note that the Screw pump article says that water becomes resalinated upon contact with salt water or while passing through a salt water aquifer, while the Water article claims it will become resalinated if it touches natural stone walls and floors.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:51:15 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:48:55 pm »

Ohhh, alright. I only read the Water article so I didn't know. Thanks a ton for your fast responses :)
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 02:13:33 pm »

I know that "screw pumps" were linked from the water article - when reading any (organized) wiki it's important to skim related articles for relevant links and more info.

Note that the Screw pump article says that water becomes resalinated upon contact with salt water or while passing through a salt water aquifer, while the Water article claims it will become resalinated if it touches natural stone walls and floors.

Does anyone know which statement is correct? I'd be happy to change it, but I've never played with salt water - but it's on the list.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 02:25:07 pm »

I know that "screw pumps" were linked from the water article - when reading any (organized) wiki it's important to skim related articles for relevant links and more info.

Does anyone know which statement is correct? I'd be happy to change it, but I've never played with salt water - but it's on the list.

Both of them are correct.  There is nothing in one statement to contradict the other.  If it makes you feel any better my personal experience has verified the validity of those statements as well.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 02:39:03 pm »

"Both" works too.  Anyone refute that?

I'll give it a day or so for any additional feedback before editing the wiki to match, just in case we have some evidence to the contrary.

(Edit - 2 days later, Fixed in wiki.)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 02:47:09 pm by Albedo »