Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eidos fixes reviews... again.  (Read 1847 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Eidos fixes reviews... again.
« on: July 13, 2009, 06:31:50 am »

And fails to cover it up... again.
http://www.destructoid.com/that-s-our-eidos-arkham-asylum-review-score-shenanigans-139267.phtml

Oh silly Eidos...  No one else seems to have trouble covering up their fixed review scores, what makes you so special?  :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:37:13 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eidos fixes reviews... again.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:02:33 pm »

TAKE THAT INTEGRITY. ah... that made me laugh.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:23:18 pm »

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to make a good game? Instead of being massive dipshits.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 09:57:53 pm »

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to make a good game? Instead of being massive dipshits.

How do you know!?  Have you made a game!? ....  ;D

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 10:10:03 pm »

I have.

It was like breakout, only with starfish and explosion cubes.

Fixing reviews is why I prefer my own testing over reviews.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 12:16:23 am »

Irrelevent, have you ever tried fixing reviews instead of letting your game be judged purely on it's own merits?  If not you can't say it's cheaper.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 12:33:15 am »

There's two choices. Spend a couple million making a decent game and face the chance it might flop, or spend 3/4 of a million making a crappy or generic + 1 game and bribe the reviewers with cheap stuff and other cheap things. It makes more financial sense to dupe the user out of their money, since everyone knows that good games get pirated and thus lose money, plus its fairly hard to return an open computer game, if not impossible.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 12:55:32 am »

There's two choices. Spend a couple million making a decent game and face the chance it might flop, or spend 3/4 of a million making a crappy or generic + 1 game and bribe the reviewers with cheap stuff and other cheap things. It makes more financial sense to dupe the user out of their money, since everyone knows that good games get pirated and thus lose money, plus its fairly hard to return an open computer game, if not impossible.

Heh, it's nowhere near that simple.  I'm surprised I even have to say that more money doesn't equal more quality.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 12:21:00 pm »

I meant from the perspective of the big publishers. Not specifically from a perspective based on reality.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 04:52:10 pm »

What is interesting is that they ONLY have to include a high score.

Which means that the average person NEVER READS THE FREEKEN REVIEW!

Honestly the review itself is more important then the score.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 11:46:43 pm »

Heh, it's nowhere near that simple.  I'm surprised I even have to say that more money doesn't equal more quality.

I agree. The money isn't invested in actually coming up with a decent storyline or gameplay mechanics. It's in the months or years spent in rendering lots of CGI videos, hiring top star voice actors, licensing soundtracks, etc. And they usually don't suck because the in-game 3D models are badly or cheaply done.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 12:58:53 am »

Which is why I said that there were only two choices from the big developers point of view. They think money invested = quality. Honestly, from what I can tell, most really good games come at that point right before a developer gets really big. I mean look at Blizzard. Everything up to and including D2/WCIII was at the very least good. Then WoW comes out and they stop making anything to work on that money sink. They got big, thought money = quality, though in this case its the people spending money on it, and not actually them bothering to invest money getting debuggers for it.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 01:56:56 am »

It's hard to believe that every high up in a major game company is completely delusional.  It seems far more plausible that quality does not factor into the equation at all as anything more than a buzz word.  A more accurate statement would be Money = Money.  You put money into making the game seem really good by concentrating on the surface aspects and hype, and lots of people will buy it, play it for a week, then never touch it again while raving about how great it was because that's what they're supposed to think.  Then they'll do the same with the next game.  Thus giving you money.  If you spend more money on making the game actually good in ways that can't be easily showcased, people will actually love it, and play it for a long time... Which isn't really good for business because you aren't making more money if people are still playing your last game and not buying the next one.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 01:59:30 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 01:34:32 pm »

It's hard to believe that every high up in a major game company is completely delusional.  It seems far more plausible that quality does not factor into the equation at all as anything more than a buzz word.  A more accurate statement would be Money = Money.  You put money into making the game seem really good by concentrating on the surface aspects and hype, and lots of people will buy it, play it for a week, then never touch it again while raving about how great it was because that's what they're supposed to think.  Then they'll do the same with the next game.  Thus giving you money.  If you spend more money on making the game actually good in ways that can't be easily showcased, people will actually love it, and play it for a long time... Which isn't really good for business because you aren't making more money if people are still playing your last game and not buying the next one.

Ayup, that about covers it.

I saw a lady (45?) in Gamestop the other day point to a poster for Wolfenstein and tell her son (15?) that it looked like a neat game.  From a TEASER POSTER.

It's signalling theory, pure and simple.  High production values are obvious to consumers, whereas writing quality and level design quality are not.  Therefor, in the bang for the buck department, they are more valuable.  Game sales peak early and drop fast, so long term reputation isn't valuable save where it encourages sales of the next game.

Add to that an active resale market for games that further cripples long term sales, and you've got a market that gets maybe a month's worth of real sales.