Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swordsdwarfs not sparring?  (Read 710 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Swordsdwarfs not sparring?
« on: July 12, 2009, 05:10:33 pm »

I finally got some wooden weapons from the pointy-eared bastards for my champion wrestlers to spar with. I assigned 2 to use spear and another 2 to use swords. The speardwarves were fine, raised to decent skill level pretty fast. But the swordusers caused problems. They did some strange pickup/leave sword loop if assigned to use 1 weapon and shield. If I gave them an order to use 2 weapons and shield, they picked the weapons up, but didn't spar with them. Swords have "Multigrasp" tagged... what's wrong with my dwarves?

PS. Just figured out what might be the problem, are long swords 2-handed for dwarves? How do I correctly assign them to spar with them?

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Swordsdwarfs not sparring?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 05:42:41 pm »

longsword's can't be used by dwarves. they have to be short swords.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 05:46:01 pm »

longsword's can't be used by dwarves. they have to be short swords.

wait, i lied. they CAN be used, but i'm not sure they'll spar with them. Make sure the dwarves are taken off of regular duty, and have 2 weapons enabled.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 07:22:55 pm »

Since dwarves wield them two handed, I think they can't use a longsword and a shield at the same time. Try assigning them bucklers instead of shields, see if that works.

Also, next time you get the dwarf or human liaison ask for silver bars or silver ore (Horn Silver, Silver Nuggets, and Tetrahedrite can all be smelted into silver, though Tetrahedrite is unreliable). Have each peasant craft a single training weapon to make them dabbling weaponsmiths, no quality silver weapons are just as lousy in combat as elvish weaponry.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 12:06:03 am »

Since dwarves wield them two handed, I think they can't use a longsword and a shield at the same time. Try assigning them bucklers instead of shields, see if that works.

Also, next time you get the dwarf or human liaison ask for silver bars or silver ore (Horn Silver, Silver Nuggets, and Tetrahedrite can all be smelted into silver, though Tetrahedrite is unreliable). Have each peasant craft a single training weapon to make them dabbling weaponsmiths, no quality silver weapons are just as lousy in combat as elvish weaponry.

OK, got it right now: dwarves can use Long Swords, but they're 2-handed. They will equip them if they have 2 weapons enabled, but wont use them if they have shield or buckler enabled too. So no shield/buckler, 2weps enabled and all is OK :)

I've got my silver industry up'n'running soon, time to make some short swords!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 06:57:02 am »

Still fooling around with long swords, my squad leader has sparred himself to a proficient swordsdwarf already, but the other little dude with the longsword isn't doing any sparring at all... They both have the same weapon settings. I saw another post on the 1st page where only one marksdwarf practices but the other doesn't, could these things be related somehow?

PS. Browsed a bit more carefully on the forums, my champion unfortunately has a nasty spine injury. Poor fellow... I almost thought he was beginning to fall in to depression and stopped sparring because he lost a wrestling session with his lover  ;D

What can a dwarf do in the military after a spine injury? Can they train to marksdwarves?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:42:18 am by 46852 »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 07:43:24 am »

Still fooling around with long swords, my squad leader has sparred himself to a proficient swordsdwarf already, but the other little dude with the longsword isn't doing any sparring at all... They both have the same weapon settings. I saw another post on the 1st page where only one marksdwarf practices but the other doesn't, could these things be related somehow?

PS. Browsed a bit more carefully on the forums, my champion unfortunately has a nasty spine injury. Poor fellow... I almost thought he was beginning to fall in to depression and stopped sparring because he lost a wrestling session with his lover  (who is also the squad leader, a kick in the nuts for a male dwarf I guess) ;D

What can a dwarf do in the military after a spine injury? Can they train to marksdwarves?

Argh strange doublepost... can't I delete my own post? :(

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 09:09:04 am »

Depends. If the spine is just damaged (gray or brown wounds) they can be marksdwarves or be assigned to the fortress guard. The only risk with this is the dwarf passes out in the middle of combat. The worse the spinal injury, the more likely they'll pass out. I'm not sure if their toughness affect how often they pass out, the wiki only covers passing out due to pain. If the spine is red or yellow... consider magma, you're dwarves will be feeding, watering, and scraping up his crap for the rest of his life.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 12:11:34 pm »

Depends. If the spine is just damaged (gray or brown wounds) they can be marksdwarves or be assigned to the fortress guard. The only risk with this is the dwarf passes out in the middle of combat. The worse the spinal injury, the more likely they'll pass out. I'm not sure if their toughness affect how often they pass out, the wiki only covers passing out due to pain. If the spine is red or yellow... consider magma, you're dwarves will be feeding, watering, and scraping up his crap for the rest of his life.

Whoa whoa whoa, a brown or gray wound to the spine doesn't cause anything at all to pass out.

As for your champion, unless you're willing to cheat, there's no way the nervous injury will heal, so you'll just have to give him a crossbow, or train him using goblin sieges.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.