Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will wild animal spawns cap off at a certain population as they breed?  (Read 317 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is one word that will describe my exact situation.... Hippos.

No, they haven't attacked my dwarves yet, the river is along the far edge of the embark area. Their unpredictability will show up when the immigrants arrive though. The first year isn't quite over yet and they are already having an orgy in the river, 26 hippo calves at this point have entered the world.

I plan on capturing some eventually though to use as livestock.

Edit: Checked the raws and they take some time to mature, so... maybe not as livestock, but they do breed like crazy and with sufficient numbers and calvings over the years....
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:14:20 pm by smjjames »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

I think the hard cap for animal breeding, whether tame or wild, is fifty or so.

Hopefully the hippos will stop breeding. Let us know if they breed beyond the vicinity of fifty.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yea, I had heard of the 50 unit cap for animal breeding, but I wanted to be absolutely sure as far as these hippos go.

I have no idea if these are particularily fruitful or not since on other embark areas, I haven't had the hippos do thier orgies.

The fact that they take 5 years to mature is going to go a long way towards helping me. Although if they keep up thier current breeding rate (27 or 28 calves now), it will cap off next year.