Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven selection  (Read 469 times)

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
Dwarven selection
« on: July 14, 2009, 11:42:09 am »

My Fortress is running out of food so i decided to kill of a load of guys. I didn't have a clue how to so i drafted them all into my military to wait for a seige. Then i had a brilliant idea. It could be some form of selection proccess to find a captain of the guard and fortress guard. My first test is the sparring test, which just means they are put into a big room with obsticals and marksdwarves training to spar. The next is fighting a seige of my uber strong Chaos Chosen warriors (2nd seige). Any ideas for more tests?

PS: there are 28 of them.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven selection
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 12:01:33 pm »

How is your fortress running out of food? That's one of the easiest things to supply your dwarves.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 12:03:55 pm »

well i usually make too much food so i turn the farms off for a while when my food gets to 300 or so with around 20 dwarves. I did this but my farmers, hunters and fisherdwarves got lazy and can't be bothered to make more. It usually works. Just got a trader and bought loads of meat now though.
"Did you eat Urist?"

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 12:26:49 pm »

Ensure that the fields have crops assigned to the current season. if the crops are shown as red, its too late in the season to plant.

for your best grower (planter), try turning off all of his labours except farming.

check your stocks to ensure you have seeds of the type you've ordered planted. Plump helmets in a 5x5 farm will see you through. Cooking plants destroys seeds, so ensure that you don't cook everything.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 12:27:32 pm »

yea i know all this.
The thread is going off topic.

Thanks for the help though.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:31:38 pm by warlordzephyr »
"Did you eat Urist?"