Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't embark on other civilization cities?  (Read 1693 times)

barny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't embark on other civilization cities?
« on: July 11, 2009, 04:31:53 am »

I just found out that I could change the init files to show certain hidden features when choosing an embark location. For some reason when I want to embark on a site with, say; an elven fortress/city I cannot embark there anymore. This is somewhat annoying to me, as I generated a world with an elven hippie-fortress next to a magma pipe.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
Re: Can't embark on other civilization cities?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 06:46:39 am »

You can't embark on sites where some mountain halls already exist. You can embark on forest retreats, towns or dark fortresses (whether they're empty, still controlled by elves/humans/goblins/whatever or even if dwarves have taken them over), but mountain halls are off limits for you, regardless of who resides there. This appears to be hardcoded, as I've fiddled around to make humans playable and still can't settle on top of a mountain fortress but can settle on top of a human town.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 07:06:51 am »

If you cant embark on a forrest retreat, then chances are you dwarven civ took it over, thus rendering it impossible to embark on it.

I believe there is an embark anywhere tool somewhere. You could use that, but I remember it causes trouble like traders being unable to reach you.

Or you could just find another hippietown.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 04:14:14 am »

If you cant embark on a forrest retreat, then chances are you dwarven civ took it over, thus rendering it impossible to embark on it.
Pish. I've got a game right now where I'm right on top of a dwarf-owned forest retreat and I had no problems embarking there. It's only mountain halls you can't embark on, and it doesn't matter who owns 'em.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.