Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What do you think ( a tileset )?  (Read 8668 times)

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think ( a tileset )?
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2009, 11:46:12 pm »

Well, the percent sign is one of the 'hidden tile' fillers, so there isn't much I can do there as the percent sign has been altered to fit in with the barrel so it looks good in screw pumps.  Also, no matter what I do the loose stone tile will stick out like a sore thumb, if that is what you are referring to, since their background is always black.  The gravel filler is negotiable, but I wouldn't have the full tileset without it.  Save a special release version for you sticklers.  ;)
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2009, 01:27:19 am »

You actually are the first to make me consider a graphicspack. If you'll make it compatible with the orcs: more things to kill mod I'll definately try it!

Really cool looking.
The game doesn't actually use the term graphics like that. The closest term that makes sense would probably graphical font.

Graphics are specifically restricted to animals and such- basically anything that shows up in the u menu. The floor, walls, text, and things like barrels all use a letter but in fonts like this that "letter" is drawn out to look more like the thing it is used for.

In the case of the character used for bottomless pits, wells, and bracelets those are all a similar shape so it works well but some of the ones used for trees and the sides of bridges don't work so well because they are so visually different, but it's all still letters as far as the game is concerned.

Because it is only available in the 40d# versions, which are not yet an official release. Also because the wiki is notorious for being out of date.
Most of us are pretty into reading a wiki for info but not editing one :/

-

I think that these walls look too "fat" and the engraved floors and walls should have more contrast- just removing the bits at the corner that give those white squares in the middle of a 2x2 engraved floor.)
I'm not really liking the little jut out at the end of each straight tile either- seems like if you wanted the interior of square rooms square that shouldn't be there, and we can easily tell how much seamless wall there is by counting floor tiles instead.
The walls have been engraved and that's cutting into stone- not plastering some unever texture on top of it (I'm aware that it's hard to remove things in engravings the way the tileset works but still) I'd recommend a still smooth outline in the secondary color but you kind of have to see it to know if that will work.

The workshops especially seem too uniform. My eyesight tends to be pretty blurry after the reading I have to do any any day I would call productive and that's just unrecognizable. That static has definitely improved over what you were using before but maybe you can thin it out just a bit more.

Overall it's pretty nice though and I might find myself editing parts of it into what I use.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2009, 02:16:05 am »

Very nice looking overall.  I'm certain to steal some of this into my ever-mutating tileset. ;)

Still, I have to echo Shoku a bit - looking at the engraved walls and floors makes my eyes water.  I'm sure it's partly due to that screen being a mostly white stone, but I'd recommend toning the engraved forms down a notch.

I'd like the walls better if didn't have the seems & juts at the edges, but I can see that being a matter of personal taste.

I am loving how your outdoors is looking.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2009, 10:08:41 am »

Any updates on this?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2009, 08:22:54 am »

Funny you should say: I was just going to give an update. :)

Anyway, last few days have been play tests, as in catching up on my fortresses.  I actually embarked to an interesting location this time: felsite foothills and a large bottomless cave.  Some things did not work, which angers me because the thing that really didn't work was the thing I had tested already the first time around but had forgotten didn't fly.  Oh well, three more tiles for me!

So now it is a case of fixing the (somehow) incorrectly assigned plant and small animal tiles, and adding some things: a few more rodents, a tile for Pixies/Faeries etc., special glowing eyes, and, of course, purring maggot tiles...just 'cuz I can.  Also, I need to take a pass through the minerals and gems again to change some things to a new stone etc. tile.  Finally, the standard willow tile needs to be upgraded to match the other trees.  If there are enough tiles left, I may change the trees to there own, unused tiles and replace the usual tiles used on the map for woodlands with an appropriate gliph.  Maybe.  Depends on if I add special bush tiles for all the plants.

EDIT: OH yeah, and I have to alter the double tilde to have more visual contrast with the single tilde; hard to see the flows.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 08:27:46 am by LordZorintrhox »
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

I make games, too

Velusion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2009, 10:49:34 pm »

Very Impressive! Keep it up!

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2009, 08:20:13 am »

Been busy with a wedding, so nothing new yet.  Few more tweaks to be done: code point 0 is used for the still hidden terrain in adventure mode, with color 0:0:1, so that tile has to move.  The default sapling tile is used on the world map, so the sapling tile I made will have to move back there (I prefer grouping things logically in tilesets) unless I do the map only symbols thing.  The tile for a boulder one z-level down is the tile listed as the "terrain at lower elevations" tile, but cannot be changed; so I have to move that around a little too.  Other than that, generally everything is pretty good.

I also need to find a distribution solution...normally not my thing, so any suggestions?

I make games, too

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2009, 10:53:50 am »

>>_>>

*shoves this into my new replies area* Get in there!

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2009, 06:30:48 am »

Congratulations, good sir. You have officially converted me from good ol' ASCII to this wonderful tileset. If you're stuck on distribution, try the Dwarf Fortress File Depot, http://dffd.wimbli.com/. When can we expect a download? That stocks screen is just amazing. I could stare at it all day, or at least until Urist McMiner cancels mine: starving.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2009, 09:56:37 am »

Dev is finished, so the beta is up on DFFD now at: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1205 and the beta thread is at: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=38737.0.

I make games, too

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2009, 07:18:44 pm »

It's an interesting tileset.  It's too busy and "dirty" for my taste.

The matgloss entries for silver nuggets and copper nuggets are messed up.

I note that you used BMP instead of PNG.  The .40d# series supports PNG alpha channels so you can do interesting things with partial transparency.  You might want to play around with that.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2009, 08:56:44 pm »

2 Things:

1: In what way are they messed up?

2: Comments on the beta are to be put, you know...in the beta's thread...

I make games, too

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2009, 02:01:22 pm »

1) There's a hard return between the metal and the "nuggets".

2) <shrug> Didn't see that thread.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]