Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

In the game, do you build a fortress under ground or a castle?

Castle living for me
- 5 (8.9%)
A bit of all 3
- 20 (35.7%)
Depends on the situation
- 9 (16.1%)
I'm an underground dweller!
- 21 (37.5%)
City-like structure
- 1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Underground fortress or Castle?  (Read 2289 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Underground fortress or Castle?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 05:05:11 am »

Normally I dig out a base to stash my initial supplies and grow crops, then as I start to dig out stone, I build up a massive stone tower, which is where my rooms actually go (In fact, I find this solution more convenient than digging out rooms in the rock, albeit the reason behind this might be that I tend to favor maps with an aquifer and a magma pipe to dig through it, and thus I would have to dig the rooms quite deep.

It depends, though. My last fortress  was in a frozen tundra, and while I intended to build up a tower as usual, the undead hordes prevented me from doing so, so I instead dug out a small underground "bunker", with blast doors (risen bridges) and automated defenses (this made the inside of the fortress pretty safe, barring mistakes, but you still have to go outside to fetch stuff, and the sheer ammount of casualties that I  suffered ended up in generating a terminal tantrum situation). I intend to reclaim it, eventually.

My current one is built over a volcano, and I intend to build a palace-temple at the top, and then more buildings every level down, all out of green glass (well, barring some purely structural pillars of obsidian I've built just underneath the main glass structure. I know that it would hold no matter what, but for RP and aesthethic purposes I try to avoid blatantly absurd structures (castles hanging onto a single floor tile, that kind of thing). Goes without saying that there will be one (more likely several) sacrificial chamber(s). Oh, and as a challenge I am keeping the nobles alive, because this is supposed to be a capital of sorts. So I try to fulfill mandates (barring the impossible ones, such as an adamantine mandate I just had, when I have NO adamantine...)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lonewolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Feral Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 05:26:24 am »

Almost all of my fortresses are above ground. Or water.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 06:04:06 am »

I always dig a pillar of stairs into the lowest z-level until I find a material I like and then I make that my main level. Stockpiles go on the surface and workshops are placed inside or outside depending on where I feel like placing them. Channels and walls are always used early on to stop elephants/goblins/kobold thieves from getting in without my say so. These walls extend to the nearest brook/stream and encompass a large swathe of herbs and trees to keep people busy and useful.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 06:43:39 am »

Underground? Pfft... Try underwater!

Or, you know, to be underwater.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 10:30:05 pm »

Im building a huge castle at the moment. Its approximately 100 tiles from the gatehouse, in the middle of the wall, to the tower at the corner. Thats about 240 tiles total, for one wall. And I'm not done yet. So far I've used something like 2000 obsidian blocks.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 12:32:30 am »

My current fort is being converted into a sinkhole city ala Utapau of Star Wars fame.

I have, however, left a single spire in the middle that I'm also going to extend up to the sky. It also houses a massive firing platform for dealing with sieges.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Pages: 1 [2]