Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: ocean forts beware!  (Read 3289 times)

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
Re: ocean forts beware!
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2009, 09:54:12 pm »

The way of thinking there is very linear culturally and socially. I have to admit it's not a quarter as bad as China, though

Lowest to highest freedoms in south-eastern Asia in my opinion are as follows;
North Korea
China
Tibet(now)
Japan
India
South Korea
Tibet(Pre-domination)

Uh, no. Pre-"Liberation" Tibet was a terrible country. Most of the peasants were involved in subsistance agriculture, and most of their wages went to their buddhist overlords. They were heavily taxed, and had no freedom of movement (runaways were killed or recaptured), and absolutely no access to education. . There was no freedom of religion, because buddhism was forced on them from an early age. Promising sons were taken from peasant families, and forced to be monks in monasteries.

Here in the west, we have this totally unrealistic view of  a shangri-la that did not exist.

I encourage everyone to read this, so you can realise how "wonderful" life was in Old Tibet.
http://www.michaelparenti.org/Tibet.html

wendigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 10:19:36 pm »

^^^  Was just about to post the exact same thing thing.  Pre-conquest Tibet was an *extremely* oppressive, hierarchical, and conservative society.  Tibet has basically had one oligarchy switched out for another, so it's difficult for the international community to get too worked up about the change.

Back on topic-- we should take a page from the noble tunas' own playbook, and eat more sardines!  They're lower on the food chain (so less contaminants to deal with) and, if prepared right, plenty tasty on their own.  Buy a tin of the less gross variety:  packed in water, not oil, and cleaned so that you're not eating all of that gristle.  Spread on a Triscuit or something, eat, and feel yourself growing stronger via the mighty power of the sea.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 07:55:42 am »

There is nothing wrong with wasting natural resources. It doesn't affect us in the least. I can still play Dwarf Fortress every day, and because of that I don't care about Tuna. :)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 03:45:57 pm »

None of those countries are in South East Asia.
Pages: 1 2 [3]