Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves not reloading quivers  (Read 802 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves not reloading quivers
« on: July 06, 2009, 11:09:56 am »

So I modded in orcs, and am currently defending my first siege. It's a small siege, just a single squad of Orc Lancers and Wrestlers, but as I have no anvil my defense consists of a wall with some archer towers.

I have a small squad of marksdwarves, who are doing well enough killing them, but when they run out of ammo they just stand there. Since there's no path to them, they just walk along their patrol routes. Is there any way to get them to reload their quivers? All I can figure is they aren't picking up the wooden and bone bolts I have.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves not reloading quivers
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 11:18:26 am »

So I modded in orcs, and am currently defending my first siege. It's a small siege, just a single squad of Orc Lancers and Wrestlers, but as I have no anvil my defense consists of a wall with some archer towers.

I have a small squad of marksdwarves, who are doing well enough killing them, but when they run out of ammo they just stand there. Since there's no path to them, they just walk along their patrol routes. Is there any way to get them to reload their quivers? All I can figure is they aren't picking up the wooden and bone bolts I have.

Are there bolts to pick up?  If so, can they get to them?
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:37:11 pm »

Their patrol path is directly over a stockpile, and there are bolts inside.

I'm pretty sure the reason is they refuse to use wooden bolts for a siege. One of them picked up a stack of steel bolts (not sure how they got there, found them on my map, no record of a guard dieing though) and killed a few more orcs. The siege is over, hopefully the human caravan will bring me an anvil and I can get some armor and war bolts made before the next siege.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 04:36:40 pm »

and this is why I always do the dwarvenly thing and take my half ton anvil with me, They _should_ be willing to use the bone bolts, or at least mine used to.  But then I've been seeing a lotta strange stuff lately with my games.

I'd suggest you scavenge around where you were shooting the orcs and see if you can find any of the shots that missed, sometimes they survive, but they get forbidden after being shot to prevent idiot dwarves from running out into the enemy to pick them up
Demon of Darkness

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 05:12:03 pm »

They should use lower grade material bolts, but marksdwarves are pretty buggy like that.

I had an elite marksdwarf sitting in my food stockpile for like 2 seasons with the question mark flashing because he couldn't path ANYWHERE

Take them off duty for a bit and they might pick them up
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 05:39:46 pm »

Is the squad marked to "chase" enemies?

Because the usual behavior of a marksdwarf would be the following:

1.) Shoot bolts
2.) If Bolts run out go whack in melee with crossbow

Since there is no path to the enemies they are stuck at #2

Nivin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 04:36:39 pm »

There's a bug where if you train dwarves up as wrestlers, they grab clothing off other dwarves and never let it go. Then they don't have a free hand to reload their quivers. Check each marksdwarf, set his weapons to nothing, see if he drops everything in his hands. You might have to forbid it. Then set him to use a bow again, and see if he properly reloads his quiver.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 05:23:23 pm »

dwarves use bows ???
Hello Hunam

ieattime20

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 06:14:29 pm »

I dunno if this is related to suggestion ^^ up there, but I trained my soldiers to Elite Wrestlers (accidentally, lost a damn good woodcutter :/ ), and changed them to crossbows. They still wrestle instead of practicing on the archery ranges (set up properly and facing the right way). They don't even really hammer with the crossbows, just wrestle.

So, change them to Unarmed and no armor, when they drop everything, tell them to be crossbowsmen again?

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 10:43:54 am »

When they drop everything, double-check to make sure they really have dropped everything (i.e. that they aren't still holding something).  They probably will have, it just can't hurt to be sure.  THEN assign them xbows again.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.