Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting masons to use my gold?  (Read 714 times)

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting masons to use my gold?
« on: July 09, 2009, 04:18:00 am »

I have a masonry workshop far off from my main fort, with stacks of gold next to it, and the whole hallway to the mason is L for low traffic, and yet he still hauls shale for miles to the masonry workshop to construct statues instead of the gold right there.

How do i get my mason to use the gold right next to the workshop, and not the shitty shale?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Getting masons to use my gold?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 04:19:27 am »

Gold is an ore stone, so most masonry tasks won't take it. Because you know, metal gold is better than gold ore. To disable that for some awesome stone thrones, go to the z screen and select stones. Then select gold from the list, so it is no longer forbidden.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 04:20:41 am »

Masonry is done with stones, not metal.  You need to make a metalsmith's forge to make something out of gold.  You also need to smelt it into bars at a smelter, if you haven't yet.  Gold nuggets are technically still ore.

...or you could do what Duke said.

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 04:21:12 am »

Wow stupid me, i even knew about that page. Sorry for the time wasting and thanks for a speedy reply! (As in, i alt tabbed for two secs and the answer was here..)

edit: Gold nuggets are enabled and he is still going far out of his way to grab other rocks (You used to be able to mason ore, can you do this no longer?)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 04:26:57 am by alphawolf29 »

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 05:24:58 am »

Lock (forbid passage on) the doors on your mason when he gets to your workshop/ nugget stockpile, he'll work with what he's got then.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 10:12:17 am »

Gold nuggets are, by default, treated like economic stones. Go into the stones menu and enable them. Watch your stockpile though, I've done that and had my craftsdwarves come to make native platinum ore mugs, was really pissed about that. You may want to disable all other stone crafting in your fort while your statues are made.

PS: I believe that ores have the same material value. Checking the wiki, platinum nuggets have a value of 40, same as the bars. The only difference is you need 3 bars for a statue but only one nugget.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 10:41:26 am »

Wow stupid me, i even knew about that page. Sorry for the time wasting and thanks for a speedy reply! (As in, i alt tabbed for two secs and the answer was here..)

edit: Gold nuggets are enabled and he is still going far out of his way to grab other rocks (You used to be able to mason ore, can you do this no longer?)

Try disabling everything BUT the gold nuggets and see what happens.  It is possible that there is some shale a few z levels above or below that he is thinking is closer so is running off to get that instead of the gold that is near him.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 02:10:50 pm »

Try disabling everything BUT the gold nuggets and see what happens.  It is possible that there is some shale a few z levels above or below that he is thinking is closer so is running off to get that instead of the gold that is near him.

Generic stone like shale wouldn't be on that list unless he's using the mod that puts them there, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 02:29:59 am »

Generic stone like shale wouldn't be on that list unless he's using the mod that puts them there, though.
Several solutions to that, a number of which have been outlined in http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=38459.0 very recently
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.