Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Delete the non-B12 forums  (Read 22487 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Delete the non-B12 forums
« Reply #195 on: July 09, 2009, 08:52:38 pm »

Quote from: G-Flex
And usually the content is pretty friendly. Toady just walked in on something that was pretty rare and looked a lot worse than it probably was.
<snip>
No one was getting offended by anything and I'm pretty sure they can back me up on that.

I don't thing I've misinterpreted what was going on.  I'm fully aware that the participants in the conversation were joking around.  What concerns me are the other 80 or 90 people or whatever that were in there.

I know you might be using hyperbole there, but there aren't nearly that many people in the IRC channel. The people inflating the numbers as much as they are are almost invariably regulars who pretty much know how the channel works and are okay with that, and would say something if they weren't.

That being said, no, I certainly can't speak for them, but that's also why I made the point that the log you presented is in no way representative of how people generally act there. Every single community anywhere gets slightly out of hand sometimes.

To be frank, I think we'd all be discussing this less and that there'd be a lot less drama on this thread and less time wasted if you had talked to us directly about it instead of saying vague things about the IRC channel in here and then posting one of its worst moments to a bunch of people here who probably mostly aren't even familiar with the channel in the first place. I think that in itself gives the channel a bad reputation.

I really don't like that you have to spend time away from doing actual work on the game and other things you'd rather be doing in order to take care of stuff like this, and I've been on the forums long enough to understand how they could test your patience, but I just wish I didn't feel like I had to be here with other IRC denizens trying to defend the place because of an isolated incident of a single person joking in poor taste about racism.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2009, 08:58:20 pm »

Toady, no offense, but you have a game called "Fuck You" on the site. If you don't want to leave a bad impression, I suggest taking a look at the sub games section.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2009, 09:11:22 pm »

If anything, I honestly think that's just evidence that he doesn't need to care quite as much as he seems to about leaving impressions and what's associated with him and so forth.

I mean, obviously the forums got out of hand in some ways and I was glad he wanted to actually take care of that, but really, this place has a forum for a game called "Liberal Crime Squad" where you behead conservative prostitutes with katanas and commit domestic terrorism as a matter of course. Stuff like that is obviously well-enough understood for what it is that it hasn't tarnished anybody's reputation yet or given anybody the wrong idea about things, nor have things in DF like the joking elf-racism or posts about how to effectively commit genocide in Adventure Mode. I concede that the log posted would certainly be bad if it were a representative sample of how the IRC channel functions, but it's not.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2009, 09:20:28 pm »

Wait, you guys held a Klan rally on the IRC channel? Why?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2009, 09:22:45 pm »

Wait, you guys held a Klan rally on the IRC channel? Why?

This is the exact kind of stuff I'm talking about, right here. People who don't know what happened, don't go to the channel, don't bother to even read a couple more posts in order to understand what's even going on, and wind up thinking we "held a Klan rally on the IRC channel".

inaluct, I could say more, but seriously, just read either a few more posts beyond what you obviously have already, or a few posts before the one you made, and you'll know the answer to your question. But in case you don't feel like doing that, here it is: Nobody did.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 09, 2009, 09:31:40 pm »

Sarcastic hyperbole.

But seriously, even I wouldn't have been saying that crap.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 09, 2009, 09:37:07 pm »

And we usually don't? Ever? And that's the only instance of it that I can ever recall?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 09, 2009, 09:54:32 pm »

Inaluct's back!
Shoes...

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 09, 2009, 10:09:03 pm »

Toady, no offense, but you have a game called "Fuck You" on the site. If you don't want to leave a bad impression, I suggest taking a look at the sub games section.
Thats a good point...

Inaluct's back!
Inaluct was gone? ???

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 09, 2009, 11:08:27 pm »

Huh, that's weird. Who would have thought inaluct would escalate the pointless hostility, as soon as he arrived?

Oh. Everyone?

Just kidding. This is why we love you inaluct.

Shit, though, IRC'ers. We get it. Just because someone said nigger doesn't mean everyone on the channel hates black people. That's evident to anyone with even a basic understanding of the situation. I can't image how these diatribes are supposed to make you look more mature and trustworthy, and I don't even really see what you're getting at anymore. Are you holding out for an apology or something?

Edit : actually, I probably shouldn't have directed that at all of you since Makrond at least seems to be reacting responsibly.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:17:05 pm by kinseti »

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 09, 2009, 11:55:12 pm »

I love how the IRC'ers keep trying to prove their not being racist even though the log speaks well enough for itself. Good riddance, as a member here I dont want to be associated with a bunch of racists any more then Toady does.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 10, 2009, 12:00:25 am »

We're not racists. It was a stupid joke someone made. This has been established. Toady knows this, I know this, and anybody who's paying attention to the thread knows it.

Seriously, I've been talking to these guys on IRC for a very long time now, and they aren't 'a bunch of racists" in the least.

And yes, the log does speak for itself: It's really, really obvious that it was just tasteless joking, and I'm sick of us having to repeat ourselves about it.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 10, 2009, 12:02:08 am »

The problem is what happens when someone comes along without a basic understanding of the situation, and makes a serious post or comes away with an impression in the same vein as inaluct's.

This is indeed a major concern for all involved since the simple mention of Klan rally has as many negative connotations and is potentially just as damaging as the word 'nigger'.

Personally I'm not holding out for an apology, I don't think anyone is. However there is a general tone of concern that this issue was repressed for so long instead of addressed immediately, and the first anyone - anyone - has heard of it has been a comment that was worded poorly and evokes a lot of negative imagery that the channel really doesn't need, even if they remain unofficial.

And I didn't react responsibly, trust me. I've been angry as hell since yesterday but I'm trying to help get this sorted out as quickly and painlessly as possible.

But of course somebody has to come along and ruin the general sense of peaceable conflic resolution.

Gods now I remember why I hate the forums.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 12:16:31 am by Makrond »
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #208 on: July 10, 2009, 12:58:05 am »

Yeah, I don't know if people are just trolling the thread for kicks now or what.  The thread's obviously through though, so I'll try to stick to the more important points here so everything's clear:

1)  I posted before what I thought was a reasonable way for the IRC channel to be relinked if they still want to be relinked.  Captain Mayday might have missed it or I might have missed his reply or whatever.  Doesn't matter.  Regardless of what he wants to do now, I'll relink the channel tonight, drop by there sometime, and if people don't want me around I'll split and unlink it.  Simple enough.

2)  I find it impossible to equate my previous characterization of the chat log with the comments in the chat log and am not going to apologize for it on the same terms, though obviously this thread has gone all to hell, so I could have handled something better.  I'll apologize again for leaving the non-forum IRC people hanging.

3)  I've rarely been on the IRC channel over the past year and am much like a guest when I'm there, even if people tend to OP me, and I don't own the channel.  In that way, I didn't feel I had the standing to flat out yell at misbehaving ops.

Late Edit:  Since this thread has been linked recently, I thought I'd add that the situation has been resolved and the IRC channel is now relinked to the Bay 12 site.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:48:39 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]