Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Limiting the population  (Read 936 times)

insectcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Limiting the population
« on: July 20, 2009, 08:39:44 pm »

I don't want my computer to slow down as bad as I've heard it does. I was looking on the wiki and the idea of limiting the population appealed to me. What should I limit it to if I still want to experience some of the cool stuff of a bigger fort? Would 100 dwarves be alright?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Limiting the population
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 08:43:30 pm »

100 should be fine. You'll get most of the nobles, and sieges will come at you.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

insectcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 09:04:05 pm »

Sweet, thank you. My computer isn't too bad, do you think that won't slow it down much? I don't mind it being slowed down, but I don't have the patience if its going to take hours just to do a couple actions.

yuhhaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 09:52:53 pm »

I put it at 80. Plus all the children born it is already touching 100 after 5 years I move into the place.

insectcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 10:15:04 pm »

So does the population cap only stop immigration then?

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 12:20:39 am »

When you cap at 100 and you got 98 I  believe it is possible that you get a huge immigration wave to give you 110-120 with the cap in place, but once you reach the amount you stated no immigrant will arrive. Not sure if that also counts for the Nobles.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 12:30:51 am »

The major FPS killers are animals and moving liquids. If you keep your pet population down (butchers/tanners are your friends) and don't go crazy with waterfalls, you should be OK with higher dwarf populations.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 01:12:30 am »

100 should be fine.

Lies.

Without any specs on your computer, there's no way to know, and any answer is a blind guess.

There are several factors that can cripple fps, and much depends on your playstyle (and how old the fortress is).  Altho' animals and shifting liquids are both banes, eventually the vast number of inanimate objects will bring almost any PC to its knees.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 07:58:01 am »

No, 100 gets him all the nobles. Any lower and he risks not being able to play the full length of dwarf fortress.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 12:43:10 pm »

Correction, 80 gets him all the nobles. 80 is the magic point where your fortress gets upgraded from a town to a city, and as a result, a barony. It's also the number that goblin sieges start coming, elven diplomats come to start bugging you about trees, and human diplomats tell you how lovely the place you've carved out is.

You won't be able to get a king, though, since that requires you to have a duke, and I think you need at least 150 dwarves in order for the count to be promoted to the duke. Don't quote me on that, I'm citing the wiki from memory and both of those can be inaccurate.

So if you want to experience what great fun having nobles is and what great fun sieges are, you should try to shoot for 80, if your computer can handle it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 03:49:15 pm »

Any lower and he risks not being able to play the full length of dwarf fortress.

See, when the OP said "I don't want my computer to slow down", I was thinking fps crash, not triggers for nobles.  I don't find nobles to be the "cool" part - I find a fort that still gets large sieges and still has a decent fps rate cool.

insectcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 12:23:33 pm »

My computer is not that bad, I think it will handle 100 dwarves, and I would like to see some of the nobles. I will just try to keep the amount of crap lying about to a minimum.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 12:36:43 pm »

You won't be able to get a king, though, since that requires you to have a duke, and I think you need at least 150 dwarves in order for the count to be promoted to the duke. Don't quote me on that, I'm citing the wiki from memory and both of those can be inaccurate.

Unless, of course, you find the HFS. It's possible to have a king with just the starting 7.