Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I don't care that you struck Mica!  (Read 641 times)

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I don't care that you struck Mica!
« on: July 08, 2009, 06:33:44 pm »

I couldn't figure out how to search for this, so I'm starting a new thread about it.

How do I make the game stop pausing to announce the discovery of unremarkable mineral deposits?

I'll often leave the fort running while I got do something else, and I like to come back and discover that there's a goblin attack or a caravan to deal with.  I do not like coming back to learn that my miner found alunite thirty seconds after I left the room, and felt it was necessary to stop the presses and send out a fort-wide memo.  If you find a nice iron ore or some gems, that's okay, but even then it's somewhat annoying.  I had a fifteen-goblin raid, and was interrupted four times in as many minutes by the incredible news of "Even More Orpiment".  That's great, guys, but I'm trying to defend the fort with six undertrained wrestlers who'd rather drink than fight, so my attention's focused eight z-levels above your yellow goddamn rock.

Can this be fixed?
I brake for stumble bumblings

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: I don't care that you struck Mica!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 06:38:33 pm »

Theres a Mod on the wiki called, "I don't care just dig" but im pretty sure that only applies to warm/damp stone junk, the search bar is in the top right corner.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 06:43:34 pm »

Nope.

You aren't the first.

Might be a 3rd party app - check the wiki on "utility".

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 06:44:33 pm »

I think what you need is actually the "unpause mod" or somesuch, but I dont know 100%, I never used it.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 06:48:52 pm »

Yeah, unpause might be a little too much for me, since I still want the game to pause when something genuinely cool happens, so it'll be waiting on the cusp when I get back from mowing the lawn.  I'd hate to sit back down and find that six seiges and nine caravans and three waves of immigrants had taken place in my absence.

And I know where the search bar is.  :P  But what would I put in there?  All my tries were for pausing and mining, which failed to focus on the topic I had in mind.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 07:12:59 pm »

The Dtil utility has something that is basically like that, you can "ignore vein messages", this disables any kind of vein warning, including
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, In other words, it functions the same as "Just dig it out!"

Siege, Caravan, and Immigrant wave pauses are hardcoded I believe, so you won't ever miss them.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 07:42:22 pm »

I tried Dtil's unpause function once.  I didn't like it.  It unpauses everything regardless of cause, including me intentionally pausing the game.

yuhhaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 09:02:33 pm »

Meh, isn't that you should play the game? find something else within the game to do. Explore the mountains, check for new digging plans, lots of things can be done.

for me, I just keep on pressing 'a'-'space' once I got the message.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 02:27:42 am »

This would almost certainly require a world regen, but removing the annoying rocks from matgloss_stone_mineral will obviously sort it.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 07:01:55 am »

I couldn't agree with the topic more!