Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blindness  (Read 636 times)

hormiga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blindness
« on: July 07, 2009, 09:54:13 pm »

So my almost champion hammerswarf Usthuth is in my "carp killing chamber" cleaning out a nest of otters that had taken up residence there.

(The carp killing chamber is basically an underground reservoir that I fill up and empty to kill the carp that were the scourge of my community)

As he is smashing otters I notice that he is sort of randomly going about it (instead of the bee line charge that is typical) apparently one of the otters got a lucky hit in chewed both his eyes out (well they are grey now). He wondered around in pain for awhile after dispatching the otters. Now he is blind.

Is this common? I have another hunter that had her eye shot out by a goblin (currently bed ridden and in agony)

Also is there a way to speed a recovery? I have numerous wounded dwarfs that linger for a long periods in commas.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Blindness
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 10:05:16 pm »

it's pretty uncommon, since every dwarf i've had have thier eye's torn our usually die shortly after, but those who do, most usually turn them into marksdwarves, as for speeding recovery, without those hospital addons they'll have a random chance to recover based on thier toughness.
(unless it's a nervous system injury, those NEVER heal)
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 10:08:48 pm »

Why would you turn a blind dwarf into a marksdwarf?  Remember, we're talking eyes here, not spinal damage.  While a blind marksdwarf IS humorous, it's not very useful.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 10:17:04 pm »

because (if you've ever seen a video of it) blind marksdwaves almost never miss believe it or not, theres a couple vids of em on the map archive but they're rare since most dwarves without eyes pass out so much they starve or somthing like that.

plus THIS IS dwarf fortress, things that don't make sense in Real Life, Make sense in the dwarvern life.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 10:17:39 pm »

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 10:24:08 pm »

Wow...just... WOW, well then, make him a siege operator or a mason, if hes not a champion, just for the sake of you dwarves

DON'T LET HIM IN THE BARRACKS
— Commander Fleyitch

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 01:22:51 am »

Once/if he heals, put him in law enforcement.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 12:34:03 pm »

Justice is blind, eh?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 12:57:10 pm »

There's a little something interesting that Toady one said when he delivered the attack formula in the modding section,

A trance also lets the dwarf see when they are blind, and not just for combat purposes.

I'll let you think about the implications of this to blind soldiers.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 02:55:48 pm »

Gray wounds never heal. If he's a champion, you'd probably be best to put the poor bugger out of his misery. Magma is cleanest, though if he's well connected letting him die to a siege then a proper burial reduces the chance of a tantrum spiral.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 03:08:56 pm »

Gray wounds never heal. If he's a champion, you'd probably be best to put the poor bugger out of his misery. Magma is cleanest, though if he's well connected letting him die to a siege then a proper burial reduces the chance of a tantrum spiral.

I don't think that's necessary. Blindness isn't such an obstacle for dwarves. He can still hold a hammer, which means he can still hit things with that hammer.

And if he gets a martial trance, he'll be able to see like he had eyes for the duration of the trance.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

hormiga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 10:13:29 pm »

I don't think that's necessary. Blindness isn't such an obstacle for dwarves. He can still hold a hammer, which means he can still hit things with that hammer.

And if he gets a martial trance, he'll be able to see like he had eyes for the duration of the trance.

He seems to do ok (he is a champion now) but moves slow. The other dwarf (missing one eye) constantly passes out from pain/seizures  I put her on the pumps in the hopes that it will make her stronger.