Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tiny change, for Dwarf names to separate men from women  (Read 869 times)

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tiny change, for Dwarf names to separate men from women
« on: July 08, 2009, 06:00:12 am »

Now, as everyone likely knows, the Dwarf names are unisex names. Urist can be either male or female.

I'd like a simple way to be able to tell the dwarfs sex by simply looking at the name. This is mostly important when looking for new military recruits, and I don't want women in the squad because their kids follow them around all the time, and combat is not a good place for kids. Other situations may rise, and it would be nice flavor

I'm not 100% sure of the implementation, but I can offer two options.
1) Divide the names clearly into male and female names. This requires some remembering from the player, but veteran players should be able to know if the name is male of female after a while.

2) Use some sort of indicator to add to the name; Like scandic addition of son or daughter (like swedish Svensson, danish/norwegian Peterssen, Icelandish Sigurđardóttir)
or the Russian way of adding letter A in the end of the womans last name (Like Vladimir Putin / Lyudmila Putina

Now, given the similarities with Dwarf and vikings, maybe the son/daughter would be a good way, but it would require the dwarf names to be differently generated. (Last name should be fathers/mothers firstname+son/daughter)

It is a small effect, mostly for flavor, so I don't see it as very important, but what do you think of the idea?
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tiny change, for Dwarf names to separate men from women
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 07:11:32 am »

Gender Differentiation has been suggested before, and discussed at length.  I would link you to the thread I know of, but it hasn't been posted in since January.  Instead, I suggest you vote for Gender Differentiation in the Eternal Voting thread to show your support for it if you have not already.  It's a good idea, and one lots of people want... but most of us want other stuff first, if the votes are any indication.

I believe Toady is implementing some level of this in the next full release anyway, but I can't say for certain.  It might have more to do with Dwarf looks than Dwarf names.

For now, I'd be happy with a little Male/Female tag at the end of names, like we get for animals in the Status submenu.  But... y'know, all the time.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tiny change, for Dwarf names to separate men from women
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 09:25:01 am »

Linky

It's worth reading, if you ignore all the PCness in it.