Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Messing around in a haunted tundra with a magma pit...  (Read 724 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Messing around in a haunted tundra with a magma pit...
« on: July 09, 2009, 07:36:15 am »

.. and getting assaulted repeatedly by skeleton muskoxes. Oh the horror.

The original idea was to build an evil temple to armok, because the layout is such that there is a small cliff overlooking directly a magma pipe. I wanted (and still intend to) build a Vatican-style temple dedicated to Armok and Omelettius with the magma pool in the place of the courtyard, and a sort of serpent head looming overhead, which would be used to dump dwarves into the pipe as a sacrifice.

my original team was torn to pieces in a short while (barely managed to dig out the first two rooms). I sent a second reclaim fortress team, and I committed the mistake of unmilitarying half of them to try to tidy up the fortress. The first half died under the assault of the undead, the other half went mad.

Finally I wised up and set it so that civilians did not stray outdoors, and managed to fend off the musoxes long enough to set a trap at the entrance. This gave me relative safety. THe problem is that they still tear up traders (which wouldnt matter if they werent my only source of wood) and immigrants. I sort of solved this by establishing a citizens defense force, and now whenever people arrive I send my massive constripted army outside to provide safe passage. Usually they only suffer minor wounds in this process, and manage to fend off the undead just long enough, if the latter are separated.

Then I embarked on a safety measure: the map is divided in half by a small cliff (part of which overlooks magma) and I intend to dig out all slopes leading upward as to separate the up and the down, leaving the terrain around my fortress inaccessible except through it. This should allow me enough time to set two working areas (one up and one down the slope) as to get the workers inside (and outside, in the second working area), should the undead come near.

The problem is that when I dug my second entrance, I forgot to set a trap, and lost quite a few civilians to a muskox that slipped into the barracks.

Anyway, ATM I have set up a trap there, as well as a blast door (OK, an underground bridge that lifts up) to be able to seal the living areas with a flick should it be needed. Given the losses I have suffered I cannot, at the moment, afford sacrifices, but when I manage to establish the temple and get a large enough population, the churning will begin.

As to the sacrifices themselves: I was thinking on making a retractable bridge and having the sacrifices stand on it (possibly by drafting them).
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Messing around in a haunted tundra with a magma pit...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 12:14:28 pm »

gah, while trading with the elves (not even serious trade, just buying food and stuff for the mere reason that I had some decent ), the undead managed to do in a big group of my dwarves. Anyway, the going got tough, I lost three dwarves, including my legendary record keeper-trader-manager, so I freaked and told all dwarves to stay indoors, and hit the panic lever, which activates all my blast doors. Which turned out to be a not-so-good idea, because one of them crushed a dwarf (through not a very useful one, to be fair), and my wrestling champion got stuck outside, where it was torn to pieces by a polar bear skeleton and a skeleton imp throwing fireballs continuously.

I'm now sinking into a downward spiral of tantrums, and I suspect that either my dwarves will kill each other, or will destroy the farm plots continuously, run out of food, and starve to death. Thus I'm rather close to my third reclaim. I'm trying to set up some enclosed storages, and fixed rooms, to avoid having to pick up shit from aboveground again when this happens.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Axeforgebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 12:53:36 pm »

Well, it wouldn't be a proper temple to Armok if it wasn't a horrible hellspawned pit from which nobody leaves alive, now would it?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 01:11:36 pm »

Point. I was going to engage in human sacrifice anyway.

In fact, I have devised a creative method of doing this (better than lava. with this one I can recover the clothing of the Messengers to the gods). But first I need to build a mayan temple. Out of green glass blocks. I also need some very good statues.

If this works as I think it should, it should be aimable.

Basically I was thinking on making the top of the temple a 1x3 size room. Furthermost square gets a statue. The next one gets a serrated disk trap. The next one gets a door. I assign the statue to the victim of choice, who sooner or later goes to "admire it". Then I lock the door, and get someone to repeat-push a lever linked to the trap (or just wait till he falls asleep)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 03:12:47 pm »

SOunds like a nice survival adventure your @ are in for. :)

I never yet got *lucky* in evil/haunted regions... currently stripmining a chasm/pit evil mountain region.
Plenty of iron ores and gems for a change (usually go for wetlands or end up on a saltmountain), little in the way of undead yet though.
A few heroes (5) have so far fallen to cavespiders, some antmen and molerats I failed to capture and have recieved nice little cairns next to the access highway. 

good luck on your endeavours in the frozen wastes!
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 04:16:51 pm »

You should be rigging up a system to sacrifice the undead in the magma.
Even the avatars expire eventually.