Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventurers, in your fort...  (Read 491 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Adventurers, in your fort...
« on: July 05, 2009, 12:58:34 pm »

I did a fairly quick look through the current developer list, finding something similar to what I want about adventurer entities coming and raiding you, but not the same.
 I would like to see something involving NP adventurers coming to your fort so they may...
 1. Receive a quest from your reagent, or influential member, to go and succeed or get themselves killed. This adventurer might be an aspiring peasant, or a different type of random immigrant.
 2. Stock up on supplies at your fortress. This type of adventurer would act kinda like a trader caravan. If you have shops, he would visit them, trading off assorted things he's collected (or strait money) for food, water, armament, and perhaps a trinket he likes. If there are no shops, he would try to do the same thing to your trade depot if it has anything in it.
 3. Mess around. "Adventurer" is sometimes just another name for "he who has nothing better to do", one might come to your fortress looking for a quest, find none, and then find something to entertain himself. Depending on the personality, this might be at the expense of your dwarves.

An adventurer, or group, isn't that common, but still aught to be around somewhere. And you will surely get some if your fortress is the capital.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurers, in your fort...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 01:12:17 pm »

A nice idea that has been drifting around my head for a while as well. Although I'd also like to add bands of outlaws (The less law-abiding adventuring parties.) to sometimes try to raid your fort. This would be rare, and only happen when the fort is still young of severely weakened. The adventurers wouldn't be too much of a threat, if you don't have a real military yet you should be able to just mass-recruit your fort and dogpile them, but they would cost time and some lives.
The bright side would be their equipment and any loot they're still carrying around.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 01:30:32 pm »

Yeah, that one is already in the Core list under adventurer entities. I was targeting all the other reactions an adventur(er){ing} {party} could have with your fort.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 01:32:32 pm by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 02:17:21 pm »

They'd be really annoying if they just waltzed in and started taking your stuff randomly. I could see mugs going missing from the tavern if they're too valuable but beyond that they should be fairly harmless if you expect anyone to not set the spike trap on repeat when they show up

If the item prices are ever curbed, I could see them buying stuff from stores too

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 10:03:47 pm »

Maybe adventurers may try to lure away some of you people to join their party, or maybe they will leave behind some of their own (In more ways than one.) Or maybe they will just settle down nearby (make their own home within walking distance of the bar, perhaps even start up a surface town or shanty-ville (perhaps buy land or permission from you, or in the case of bandits, and other squatters, perhaps not.)

A dwarf could strike of on their own (to avenge a wrong or simple wanderlust) and return years latter with some foreign princess in tow, a chest of treasures and enough stories to motivate even more adventurerers ( "I'm sorry you a hero... but you have to go..") Or maybe they will come home traumatized, shunned veterans with vile secrets culled from the dark corners of the earth.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.