Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Taking care of the fish, the dwarven way.  (Read 1744 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Taking care of the fish, the dwarven way.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 06:55:21 pm »

I'm planning to mod a creature so hot that anything in the same world tile will instantly melt. I'll go round melting everything on the planet, and then embark. If things can vapourise, they will. Otherwise my dwarves will just embark onto a barren plane.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taking care of the fish, the dwarven way.
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 01:19:44 am »

You can still, as I mentioned, find a way to get the magma to the river, then dump some magma into it. It will then form obsidian which will block off the water(Should you use it in your drain, which will make the hole fill up and eventually have the water continue through the normal river), or make a dam to re-route the water(If poured into the river itself, make sure the water has somewhere to go).

It's easier then it sounds, any floor/wall holds back magma, even wooden ones, so you can just make an aquaduct(Magmaduct?) to the river, around your fort.(Or through it, if you feel like it)

After that, you can place floodgates behind the obsidian, and channel away the obsidian to have a working line of floodgates as what I think you originally hoped to achieve.

This is dwarf fortress, there is no way to permanently screw up a map, everything can be fixed when given enough time/willpower/dwarves.

ah, yes, that is true. thanks for the reminder.
Pages: 1 [2]