Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animals stay outside.  (Read 676 times)

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animals stay outside.
« on: July 04, 2009, 01:52:48 am »

In most cities I have heard of, the animals stay in pastures, or outside the walls unless there is a siege on. Large animals(Cows, camels, horses, muskoxs etc.) should, by defualt be left outside. But if you need to bring them inside becuse of a siege there should be a order in the orders menu. But being cooped up with other dwarves big pets for too long should resualt in some unhappy thoughts.

Leartes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animals stay outside.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 11:48:25 am »

I think there will be a solution as soon as other creatures than your current civ also need to eat. Since your animals can't go to a food stockpile you have to keep them in stables and feed them or they life outside and eat grass / bushes etc. The order is only cosmetic then ...

But before that I think it is too much work to set up a system with moving in and out while knowing you will have to replace it again sooner or later.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:11:43 pm by Leartes »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 04:41:12 pm »

hmm... just like dwarves, animals need places to sleep. If they don't have one, they sleep outside, eat outside etc. If they do have one, then they go to it, eat better (but manufactured) food and sleep in nicer (but wood/stone consuming) stables. The advantage to the latter being that you can have animals anywhere, even where no natural food exists, and the advantage of the former being that its completely free and takes up no space. In event of siege, you merely forbid outside pastures, and pray you have stables built.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 07:24:46 am »

Getting cows inside should take manpower, not the press of a button. Goblins probably wouldn't kill them for no reason either unless it's a raiding party

Grass tampling needs to be redesigned or tossed away if grass becomes food

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 10:28:34 am »

I am intensely annoyed by a herd of bloody cattle squatting in my wondrous meeting hall with the dwarves.  Its just wrong.  I think there should be a stable or pasture zone for them, which they will dash to instead of meeting areas.  Please. 

Do you think that burrows could eventually apply to animals?

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 03:21:57 pm »

That's why I cram all those animals into one tiny cage in a corner of The Butchery. :)

Taelzos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 03:39:02 pm »

That's why I cram all those animals into one tiny cage in a corner of The Butchery. :)

Someone after my own heart <3.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 05:25:17 pm »

Someone after my own heart <3.

Amen
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.