Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: embark suggestion: reroll starting 7's random stats  (Read 891 times)

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
embark suggestion: reroll starting 7's random stats
« on: July 02, 2009, 04:00:02 pm »

im tired of having to abort game, find the location i chose again, and then start embarking again just to get a different selection of likes and dislikes on my dorfs, can we get an implementation of re-rolling the starting 7's stats without having to reembark?    the other day i was specifically looking for a dorf that liked cats for a hermit challange...   took me an hour to randomly generate one dorf that liked cats...

and along those lines, we could have it randomly choose a single job for each person?    that would lead to fun with a challange of using whatever random jobs they start with only and thats it...   

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: embark suggestion: reroll starting 7's random stats
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 06:42:29 pm »

I've never really felt the need for that kind of granularity in dwarf creation, since it has such a small impact on the game, in my experience.  But if you're going for that sort of thing, I don't see why it shouldn't be possible.  I'd liken custom dwarf traits to custom mineral fields or geographic features, though.  Couldn't this sort of thing be handled by hacking a saved fortress?
I brake for stumble bumblings

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 06:46:35 pm »

Theres a mod that lets you customize your dwarves embark files I think...

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 07:24:09 pm »

Isn't dealing with random dwarves part of the challenge?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 08:06:05 pm »

I'd say that random dwarves are part of the challenge the same way not knowing what features your map has is part of the challenge. Which is to say, if you want to tweak things to be just so, why not?

In general, anything that you can currently accomplish just by redoing some random activity over and over again (at no cost except to your time) should be automatable.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 08:37:44 pm »

In general, anything that you can currently accomplish just by redoing some random activity over and over again (at no cost except to your time) should be automatable.

Dangerous thinking.  Should the fact that I can force-quit from the task manager make a "quit without saving" option a no-brainer?  Respawning adventurers?  Manual slider bars for each dwarfs' skills?

I think that some actions should be thought of and treated as cheats, and should require a cheater's workaround to be achieved.  No reason to feel bad about revealing your HFS instead of blindly groping for it, but it should be known and acknowledged that blind groping is the "straight" way to do it, and you've turned down the difficulty by obviating that need.  If it's not in the game or in the plan, it is a community mod and a deviation from "vanilla" gameplay.

The community is important to DF's development, but we don't get to decide the spirit of the game.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 08:41:36 pm »

I like this idea.

For those that want their dwarves to be totally random: great! Have fun with that. You can just leave the button alone and ignore your dwarves profiles until you get in game. But for those who want to use the game as a storytelling tool, this is a useful option.

(And really, given the game's origins, using DF as a tool to tell stories is very appropriate. So much of the game is devoted to generating history and historical figures, letting the player in on the action seems only reasonable.)
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 08:49:31 am »

I'd like this too but I guess eventually we'll be choosing from existing dwarves, ones with actual ties to worldgen

I really don't know what Toady intends to do about the randomly assigned skills if we start using old dwarves though. Perhaps sites will have a few actual resident artisans and the rest of the population are just peasants. Can't imagine it working otherwise

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 01:59:39 am »

I am recalling FAngband's autoreroller that would allow you to pick minimums for stats (18/** and 18s all if desired) that would let you get perfection if you were patient/lucky. This is probably a bit far. But yes, it is annoying when you get e'eryone going "I like horn, ivory, sand, coins and adamantine" and you want to reroll.

Since I  don't actually know how the personality facets would affect me, I'd ust be picking one guy with "likes steel and picks", one with "tower cap, buckets, bins, barrels, and beds" a "likes obsidian, thrones, and tables", and maybe all liking obsidian/towercap/turtle/dwarven [drink].
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 01:10:04 pm »

I'll note for the record that the Angband autoroller would technically let you pick impossible starting stats, since the game "throws out" any characters that are too good (average stat is too high) or too bad (etc.). To my knowledge this is true for all Angband variants.

That said, the autoroller did make it very easy to find characters that were only maybe .2% likely in "reality".
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels