Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothing tearing  (Read 815 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Clothing tearing
« on: July 11, 2009, 09:47:45 am »

I think there should be a way to tear up invader's clothing and getting the component cloth out of it. It would be sort of like melting, but with less efficiency. ATM I am dumping all the narrow stuff goblins and kobolds wear just because I cant be arsed to stock it till a caravan of dwarves or humans arrives to take it (and when they do arrive I'd rather trade some masterful mugs than the vomit-stained garments. What use do they have for them anyway?)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing tearing
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 06:20:01 am »

ah, I sell all my gobbo shite. Selling goblin goods actually means that I don't have to have a money making economy, I can gather and sell. I sell all of the worn out dwarven gear as well. The humans/dwarves don't need it, but they keep buying it from me. Also, it keeps my dwarves busy :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 06:33:21 pm »

Maybe it wouldn't have to be tearing it up, I mean you're hardly going to want to tear up giant cave spider silk due to how bloody expensive it is (let alone how hard it would be to tear up)

Maybe just unpicking all the stitching from clothing, rendering it back into a useable (or semi useable, at least) state.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 10:17:57 pm »

An alternative would be to add a 'rags' item that could be used for various things. Papermaking, maybe. Stuffing for pillows. That sort of thing.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 11:58:55 pm »

The thread's topic made me think of something else entirely; clothing damage based on attack.

I.E. a lion attacks you. The claws rake through your shirt and the chest underneath. While the chest will heal, that shirt is pretty much toast.

It'd be a nice way to give clothiers a proper purpose.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 12:31:23 am »

An alternative would be to add a 'rags' item that could be used for various things. Papermaking, maybe. Stuffing for pillows

Patching up worn clothing...

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 03:22:27 am »

The thread's topic made me think of something else entirely; clothing damage based on attack.

I.E. a lion attacks you. The claws rake through your shirt and the chest underneath. While the chest will heal, that shirt is pretty much toast.

It'd be a nice way to give clothiers a proper purpose.

Yeah this is already planned, but not quite on the way yet.

Although if it turns out armour makes you invincible in the next version because it can't be destroyed, it might have to be on the way