Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Seven Deadly Sins  (Read 1733 times)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
The Seven Deadly Sins
« on: January 25, 2018, 11:24:55 am »

I want to start a new outpost to punish my starting Seven.

Each of them commited 1 Deadly Sin. They must be punished and die in creative ways.

If you've seen the movie Seven, I want to do something like in the movie, where every dwarf dies in a way related to its Sin.

As a reminder, the 7 Deadly Sins are :
- 1/ Lust
- 2/ Gluttony
- 3/ Greed
- 4/ Sloth
- 5/ Wrath
- 6/ Pride
- 7/ Envy

-----------------

I have ideas for most of them. But I need your help for some, and ideas are most welcome.
Remember that dwarves have to die in a unfair way that will reflect the Sin they're associated with.

- Greed is easy ! I'll carve an entire room out of Gold / valuables furnitures and make it super worthy.
I'll put the greedy dwarf in the room, and I'll build a gold bridge and put lots of coins on it.
I'll then kill the dwarf by catapulting the coins in him.

- For Wrath, I thought about making a dwarf start a tantrum, destroying a pillar that will cave-in and kill him.
The tough part will be to make him unhappy enough ;)

- Sloth will be basically doing nothing and dying from laziness.
So I can put the lazy dwarf in a room with lot's of beds, water, some seeds and farms.
The dwarf will be too lazy to harvest / plant (all jobs disabled), and will die from hunger because of lazyness.

- Gluttony could be Fun. I could find a way to make my hungry dwarf die from eating contaminated food.
I know that food keeps contaminants in it. Example : zombie-turning weather will turn you zombie if you eat food exposed to it.
I just have to find a painful, slowly killing contaminant and apply it to the food. Then I can feed it to the dwarf and that's Gluttony done.
Necrosis FB syndromes might be a slow enough process to make the dwarf suffer as his guts are rotting.

- Envy. There must be a way to set this one. This is what I found :
A death corridor ! On one side of the corridor is the dwarf. He has everything he needs.
But on the other side of the death corridor, is an item the dwarf wants. A bone earring or some crap like that.
At some point, the dwarf will envy the item, and walk to his doom.

This is where I lack inspiration.

- Pride and Lust are hard to find...

What do you think ?
Do you have any creative/better ideas ? :)
The more brutal the way of death is, the better ! Punish the sinners !

PS : Yes. Killing the starting seven... I am a terrible person. I know ! For my defense, I'm secretely a secret Armok cultist !
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:33:41 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: The Seven Deadly Sins
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 11:54:24 am »

Pride should be a throne room. Make it an incredibly opulent throne room, with possibly a few side passeges too, with multiple Z - layers, all smoothed stone, with gold bricks inlaid into he walls, and only one dwarf allowed to go inside.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 04:41:12 pm »

For pride you should have the dwarf be crushed by mastercraft statues of himself. I'm not sure that Dwarf Fortress has the appropriate mechanics for a lust related death, but maybe you could lock up the dwarf with berserk members of the opposite sex and have them beat him to death.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 11:51:59 am »

Lust, could be having a dwarf die from a werebeast lover.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Civillain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 01:13:36 pm »

Lust, could be having a dwarf die from a werebeast lover.

I love the idea of making a dwarf's lover into a werebeast for lust.

For pride, definitely a fancy throne room with a trap that only works when they sit on the throne!
I put Dwarf Fortress videos on the internet https://www.youtube.com/c/Civillain

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 07:37:19 pm »

The only alternative to lust I can think of is perhaps a infinite puppy room. Mother dog above keeps having puppies. Puppies fight, canceling the dwarfs every need until he drowns in puppies.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 07:39:15 pm »

Thermonuclear dogsplosion?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 08:22:54 pm »

Your idea for wrath won't work, unfortunately. Berserk dwarves or other building destroyers won't destroy supports, to prevent exactly what you hope to achieve. It might be easier just to make him go berserk next to a trained lion or something so he gets ripped to pieces.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.