Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Xaque's Warhammer 40k Mod  (Read 6230 times)

xaque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Xaque's Warhammer 40k Mod
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 10:38:06 pm »

Judging by the picture in this article of the Catechan guardsmen, Heavy Bolters are definitely not wieldable single-handed by Guardsmen. I'm not familiar with Dark Heresy, so I'm gonna base it off the 40k tabletop game. The usability of heavy bolters is determined by their MINIMUM_SIZE value, so if you wanna change that it should make them usable by smaller races.

Commissar Internet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 02:22:30 am »

That's the standard Guard heavy bolter. 

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat1060101&rootCatGameStyle=

Look very closely at the gent on the right in the House Orlock gang.  He is carrying a heavy bolter.  Dark Heresy is basically D&D in the 40k universe.  Man-portable heavy bolters are canon.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 02:45:04 am »

ferrocrete? Wasn't it rockcrete? Man, I need to learn more about 40K, it's always interested me. I think I'll start... By downloading this.

xaque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 12:07:20 pm »

Man-portable heavy bolters are canon.

Okay, after checking out the Necromunda rulebook (which is free, sweet!), I found this under Heavy Bolters:

...most gangs have one or two fighters who carry heavy weapons. These individuals are known as 'heavies' on account of the weapons they carry and also because they tend to be big, muscular fighters able to bear the weight of their weapon, ammunition and spares.

All heavy weapons described below are weighty, cumbersome affairs which take quite a bit of physical strength and energy to carry and use... etc, etc

Heavy Bolters:
...They are extremely bulky and are often known as the 'back breaker' by those who carry them...

So... basically, it does sound like they can be wielded by humans, but only exceptionally strong humans. In IG terms, I guess what this would mean is that I could make them usable by IG, but they would of course require two hands, and their weight would be some ridiculous number like 40,000, so any IG wielding a bolter would basically be stationary during combat.

Also, don't think I'm trying to argue for the sake of arguing. I appreciate your input on the mod, I am trying to make it as canon as possible. It's difficult to piece together stuff like this from all the disparate rulebooks, so it helps when someone who knows more about a certain area steps in.

Also, speaking of feedback, it would be really helpful if anyone playing this could give me info on Chaos sieges. What types of troops did they send, how early, were they too hard, too easy, etc.

ferrocrete? Wasn't it rockcrete?

Ferrocrete is a reinforced version of rockcrete... they're actually both in the mod :p
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 12:27:57 pm by xaque »

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 02:47:03 pm »

The heavy weapons teams the guards uses are tripod based, judging by this link. All of those are tripod based, and they way too heavy for anyone NORMAL to just carry and use on the fly...well, maybe catachans, but they come from a deathworld and are known for their ridiculous strength. You MAY be able to rename the different types of ballista ammo to accommodate this, though. Also, a suggestion: convert catapults to basilisks.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

xaque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 03:23:53 pm »

Hmm... yeah... That's another problem, sometimes 40k canon contradicts itself. I think the solution of making bolters ultra heavy is my favorite so far. The IG codex does actually say that of the two-man teams, one carries the weapon and one carries the ammo, so I'm just gonna assume those big-ass weapons are made out of some kind of alloy that makes them lighter than they look.

I think catapults are hardcoded, even the name, but I'll look into it. I'm pretty sure I saw ballista ammo in the raws somewhere, so I'll try making those into something cool too.

Faenaris

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 04:34:59 pm »

Heavy Bolters are indeed way too heavy for a single human being to carry. Sure, Space Marines carry them, but they are both superhumanly though and have armour that actually supports them even further. And even they wear it two-handed. In the lore, I only know of "Try Again" Braggs that actually lifted and fired a heavy bolter without a fire-support-harness. And even he was a real giant of a man. So, a two-team for a heavy bolter seems the most logical.

Haven't had the time to actually play (again), but once I do, I'm going to give it a whirl.

Commissar Internet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 09:44:04 pm »

This forum needs a headdesk emoticon.  Do you not see the hive scum singlehandedly wielding a heavy bolter in the link I posted?  The second man in an HB team is there to lug the ammo around.  On the tabletop, the loader exists as a meatshield so your gunner can rape the enemies of the Emperor with rocket-propelled doom.

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 06:47:35 pm »

You know (HFS related spoilers)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 12:46:35 pm »

This forum needs a headdesk emoticon.  Do you not see the hive scum singlehandedly wielding a heavy bolter in the link I posted?  The second man in an HB team is there to lug the ammo around.  On the tabletop, the loader exists as a meatshield so your gunner can rape the enemies of the Emperor with rocket-propelled doom.
Yes, we saw that. Of course, you only need one person to FIRE it. But in case you hadn't noticed, the size of a heavy bolter means that firing it while on the move is simply prohibitive*-TANKS use these things as sponsons, that should give an idea of the weight of these weapons (not to mention the recoil they would produce from firing a continuous stream of rockets). Only space marines may be able to do it, and I think that even then it might only be terminators. Necromunda is one part of the cannon, and only a small part at that. Out of curiosity, how old/recent is the last update to it? 

*for a normal human, anyway.

Edit: Took a closer look at the so-called heavy bolter. That is, at most, a regular bolter. Heavy bolters are much bigger than lasguns, and that bolter is only slightly larger than a lasgun. If catachans can't single-wield HBs, than I don't see how a scummer can.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:01:11 pm by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
  • He is Jesus and Raptor combined!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 11:21:24 pm »

Just the heavy bolter itself is the size of a guardsmen. There is no way a human could carry one and I am 99% sure there is no actual imperial guard figure with a heavy bolter. The imperial guard usually uses las guns.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 04:33:17 pm »

Looks like Xaque and I are working together. I have CUltists and Orks nearly done. Just need to finish Entity for both.

Pages: 1 [2]