Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why aren't my creatures dropping dead?  (Read 801 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Why aren't my creatures dropping dead?
« on: June 25, 2009, 11:04:29 am »

I modded in a creature. It worked fine. Then I noticed it had no lungs. ??? abounded. I messed around with the dwarves a little to see what was up, because they're always there. I altered the raws, cleared out the objects folder to be sure, and regenned. It's now the second year of the fortress and nobody's dead from spontaneous suffocation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No lungs, no breathing-related tags. The only parts with [BREATHE] in body_default are the parts in 2LUNGS and LUNGS_SPIDER (own addition).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Why aren't my creatures dropping dead?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 01:38:15 pm »

I believe parts like lungs and heart and maybe the brain no longer cause problems if they simply don't exist in the definition.  If they lose them to wounds they can suffocate or whatever, but if they never had them in the first place they breathe normally (still drown underwater, stuff like that) but they don't have an organ weakness that controls it.

Maybe easier to understand: I recently modded in a slime monster.  They can bleed but lack a heart.  They don't show any adverse side effects to not having a heart, but they can still bleed to death from wounds.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:42:57 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 01:17:31 pm »

If they lose them to wounds they can suffocate or whatever, but if they never had them in the first place they breathe normally (still drown underwater, stuff like that) but they don't have an organ weakness that controls it.
Right, thanks. That seems a little counterintuitive due to the existence of [NOBREATHE] and other tags, but I suppose it allows for more flexibility.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 08:19:44 am »

I think the no breathing tag would stop it from dying if it lost its lungs/ throat.  Also from suffocating underwater if it has lungs.