Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Killing off the dwarfen civs in world gen.  (Read 1094 times)

Tizer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:awesome top hat]
    • View Profile
Killing off the dwarfen civs in world gen.
« on: June 27, 2009, 06:30:22 am »

Is there a way to kill off the dwarfen civs in world gen? Or another way to stop migrants, nobles, dwarfen caravans, ect ect. I want to be comply cut off form the dwarfen civs but still have contact with goblins elves and human. Is there a easy way to do this other than making tons of worlds and looking through them all?

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
Re: Killing off the dwarfen civs in world gen.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 07:06:51 am »

Can't play if there's no civs to come from.

data/init init.txt.

Find [POPULATION_CAP], and tone it down to 7.  Then, only babies (Caravans will still come, and I think nobles will when the requirements are hit, but, let's face it, it'll be a lot of inbreeding before then).
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 07:22:18 am »

Im pretty sure you can still embark with destroyed dwarf civs, though of course you cant embark at all if none ever existed.

Anyways, I guess your best bet would be to mod your dwarfs into being incredebly weak before generating the world, then generating the world (maybe with lots of caves for plenty of megabeasts), then setting your dwarfs back to default again.

Note that if the civ you embark with is dead, you will not get immigrants even if other dwarfs civs are still alive.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 08:44:31 pm »

Someone posted a save a while back that had no dwarven civs left, but you could still embark. I've got a copy (not sure if it's pre-embark or not). They were using it for a community/succesion game as i recal.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 10:26:17 pm »

One way that might work would be to remove all of the start biome tags from the dwarven entity. Then if you switched off the setting that requires a playable civ in the world gen specifics, you would be guaranteed to have no current dwarven civs. This should mean that your fortress will be the only dwarven fortress in the world and should work how you want. This is only a theory, I haven't actually tested it, but it should work.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 11:16:18 pm »

I'm thinking the world might not gen if it can't place 5 different races...

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 02:58:12 am »

Hmm, question: If you embark from a dead civ, build a massive mountainhome (No king, due to a lack of existing king.), abbandon, and start another fort, will you get migrants from the first?
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 06:16:27 pm »

Migrants spawn from nothing.

Population cap is the only way
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 07:56:52 pm »

Migrants spawn from nothing.

Population cap is the only way

You're actually wrong here. Migrants may spawn from nothing, but they won't spawn if there are NO dwarves in the world (40d).

My guide to getting rid of immigrants (or civs in general).

1) Modify the dwarf (MOUNTAIN) entity definition in the raws to contain the following (replace the existing lines with these):
Code: [Select]
        [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:1]
        [START_GROUP_NUMBER:1]
        [MAX_POP_NUMBER:1]
        [MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:1]

2) Delete the contents of your data/objects directory (good idea if you're messing with raws).

3) Generate a new world. Note that the end year should be at least 150 (to increase chances worldgen dwarves are dead - old age).

4) Export the world population data.

5) Open population data and verify there are no dwarves in the world (search for "dwar"). If you find any, regenerate the world (the dwarves very, very rarely survive with the above entity settings - it's good to verify though).

6) Embark as the only dwarven civ listed, happy in the knowledge that you'll never get any migrants (tested) - you get 'fortress has attracted no migrants this season' message every time. Nor will you get a Dwarven caravan (tested). Potentially won't get nobles either (not tested - need verification). I'd recommend embarking with an anvil and checking you have at least one male and female dwarf (gender balance on embark seems random) if you want to play as a dead civ.

CAVEAT: If you abandon and re-embark or reclaim, dwarves will exist in the world and you'll get migrants!

I did try to quickly test the 'dead dwarven civ + nobles' thing, but I'm pretty sure my test was flawed (I was embarking with >7 dwarves). Maybe increase the littersize of dwarves to several hundred maybe... it would be good if the 'no nobles' thing could be verified by someone. Also need to test HFS king w/ dead civ - it would be awesome to be able to create a mountainhome from nothing.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 09:31:10 pm »

Ah, didn't know it actually checked for that. Thank you
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 10:53:57 pm »

I thought you could turn immigrants off in the raws...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Tizer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:awesome top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 03:45:35 pm »

Wow! Thanks ItchyBeard. It'll try that right away. But why delete data/objects?

Regarding the CAVEAT If you just flood the fort or kill all the dorfs will that prevent any living dorfs on legends?

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 04:28:31 pm »

I justed added the Orcs mod, create an orc civ for every season/biome and only had orcs left in the world.  And boy did those orcs come a callin.

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 09:40:55 pm »

Wow! Thanks ItchyBeard. It'll try that right away. But why delete data/objects?

I just tend to delete data/objects out of habit when changing the raws. The stuff in there should auto-generate from the raws if it doesn't exist when you start the game. I've had strange stuff happen when I haven't deleted them (like if you modify rock layers and then start the game without cleaning objects you can end up with the landscape flashing through dozens of different rock types - it's trippy). There are cases where you don't need to delete data/objects... it's just hard to figure out when, and things can subtly break if you get it wrong.

Regarding the CAVEAT If you just flood the fort or kill all the dorfs will that prevent any living dorfs on legends?

I'm not entirely sure - I've only ever really re-embarked after abandoning. You can export the current world populations from the legends interface somewhere, so that might give a way of checking whether there are any dwarves remaining after murdering them. I just remember I've had problems with migrants turning up most unexpectedly on my second fort in the same world (where the first was abandoned).

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 10:26:59 pm »

I've had orcs show up in my newly generated worlds after taking them out of raw/objects because they decided to stick around in data/objects.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.