Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freeware LAN games?  (Read 3658 times)

Skibiliano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Freeware LAN games?
« on: July 08, 2009, 07:52:26 am »

If there's a thread like this, I am pretty much  ???.
I searched the last 10 pages of this board, searched for it (it searched every word that had lan in it like language :/ )

So, as the thread name subjects. Do you know any good LAN games that are free?
Other than Soldat, OpenTTD, Freeciv, Freecol, Warzone 2100 (The resurrection project) and Total Annihilation: Spring (or "TAS" or "TA: Spring")
GENERATION 10:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Freeware LAN games?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:03:10 am »

red alert 1 was made free to promote red alert 3 (which of course sucks :P)
You can also play gta 2 on LAN it can be rather fun to run over your friends with a sportscar
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Skibiliano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 08:08:35 am »

red alert 1 was made free to promote red alert 3 (which of course sucks :P)
You can also play gta 2 on LAN it can be rather fun to run over your friends with a sportscar

I've played Red alert 1, but it didn't want to work, But i've played it before.
I've also played Red alert 3, but it won't agree to work on my other computer
I've played GTA II on Lan too, but my friends got a bored of it fast.
GENERATION 10:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 10:01:58 am »

fear combat (which, basically, is the multiplayer part of fear) is free. You can also download the "coop warfare" mod, which, you guessed it, allows coop play.

Technically System Shock 2 is probably not free, but still readily available for download. This is noteable because there is a highres texture pack and a coop mod available, too. Getting the thing to run can be a bit of a pita, but it's very much possible. You have to edit a few things in a config file, I cant remember which offhand, sadly. The coop mod has a few bugs, usually you overcome them just by quicksaving and reloading on the spot. Keep a few major saves, just to be sure. In the end of the game, where you have to use missiles as ladders in one room, there's a bug that crashes the game. Easy to avoid, tho. just have player 1 finish that section, while the other players just wait in the room. it's only 20 secs to the level exit from there, really no biggie. I'd say try it, it was a great LAN experience for me.

IIRC you can get IL-2whatever Sturmovik for free. With full realism I really enjoyed dogfighting.

Maybe Trackmania Nations? I dont like it as much, because racing cames without collisions between cars might make sense, but take the fun out of LAN evilness.

Skibiliano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 10:07:42 am »

fear combat (which, basically, is the multiplayer part of fear) is free. You can also download the "coop warfare" mod, which, you guessed it, allows coop play.

Technically System Shock 2 is probably not free, but still readily available for download. This is noteable because there is a highres texture pack and a coop mod available, too. Getting the thing to run can be a bit of a pita, but it's very much possible. You have to edit a few things in a config file, I cant remember which offhand, sadly. The coop mod has a few bugs, usually you overcome them just by quicksaving and reloading on the spot. Keep a few major saves, just to be sure. In the end of the game, where you have to use missiles as ladders in one room, there's a bug that crashes the game. Easy to avoid, tho. just have player 1 finish that section, while the other players just wait in the room. it's only 20 secs to the level exit from there, really no biggie. I'd say try it, it was a great LAN experience for me.

IIRC you can get IL-2whatever Sturmovik for free. With full realism I really enjoyed dogfighting.

Maybe Trackmania Nations? I dont like it as much, because racing cames without collisions between cars might make sense, but take the fun out of LAN evilness.

I didn't like Trackmania nations either, I have IL2 Sturmovik, but I have never bothered to play it in network (I didn't know you could, I haven't played it in a while) so I guess I would play that.
System Shock 2 and FEAR combat are a bit "Eh" games in my opinion, I guess I could try them.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 10:13:51 am »

I agree with the fear thing, but system shock 2 is a fuckin masterpiece. It's way up there among the best games ever made, and there's not even a discussion about that in order  ;D

Coop mod makes the game even more enjoyable, imho, just be prepared that the models of your buddies will look like ass, and not in the good way. They look really bad, but for me that didnt break immersion.

Skibiliano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 10:39:21 am »

I agree with the fear thing, but system shock 2 is a fuckin masterpiece. It's way up there among the best games ever made, and there's not even a discussion about that in order  ;D

Coop mod makes the game even more enjoyable, imho, just be prepared that the models of your buddies will look like ass, and not in the good way. They look really bad, but for me that didnt break immersion.

May I ask where can you get System Shock 2?
After a quick browse through the internet I couldn't find anything useful.
(Also, if possible, the coop mod?)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 10:52:56 am »

System Shock 2
http://cvr.pl/gry/system-shock2.php polish site, the "pobierz" links left to the picture are the links to the two-part-rar.
I can't remember wether or not you have to patch it. I think the download includes everything you need apart from the following:

Coop-mod/patch
http://www.irrationalgames.com/shock2/

Highres textures (i would definetly do it! played the game with a buddy that didnt have it, and I could actually READ signs he couldnt)
http://shtup.home.att.net/

I think you might also need this fix
http://www.moddb.com/downloads/system-shock-2-winxp2000-fix

Then you should
Add the line "safe_texture_manager", without quotes to the Shock.cfg file.
according to this thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2420/t210087-how-to-play-ss2-under-windows-xp/
note: the downloads mentioned in that thread are down, but I think I provided you with working links above. Also, iirc, that was exactly the thread I needed to get it running on my PC.

Oh, and finally, shock.cfg contains install locations, in the download from the polish site (but you dont need to install it, its basically the "installed" game, iirc), you need to change them to the location you're going to put the game. Same goes for the CD directory, just point to the place where you put the files.

Ooops, one more thing, I'm not sure whether or not the downloads of SS2 still have the videos. Anywhere. I just watched the ending scene on youtube after I finished it ;)

Man, you're lucky I'm bored.

edit: I'm an idiot. After I went through all the hassle of preparing the game to be coop and XP ready, with highres textures and modified cfg file, I zipped it up for later use, so I can avoid the hassle in the future. Could have uploaded it somewhere for you... all you would need to do then would be to set the correct directory in the cfg file...

But I deleted it, for some unexplainable reason.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 10:56:38 am by Puck »

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 12:55:27 pm »

There is also Armagetron, an open-source Tron clone. Amazingly addictive, especially if you've got several friends to play it with.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 01:03:28 pm »

There is also Armagetron, an open-source Tron clone. Amazingly addictive, especially if you've got several friends to play it with.

This. I used to play through all my film school classes with other students. :P

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 01:11:12 pm »

Battle for Wesnoth is good if you don't mind playing a TBS in LAN. Mind you, as TBS-es go, it's quite fast - an average 1v1 game lasts about half an hour.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Skibiliano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 01:17:58 pm »

Battle for Wesnoth is good if you don't mind playing a TBS in LAN. Mind you, as TBS-es go, it's quite fast - an average 1v1 game lasts about half an hour.

Ah yes, Battle Of Wesnoth, my friend got me addicted to it once, But I haven't really played it.. for a year...

I have played that alone! And every word you said is like coming out of my mind. I completely forgot about that game!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 01:46:38 pm »

Interstate '76. Especially if you all have steering wheels.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 01:50:59 pm »

waiwhat that one is free now?

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 06:09:09 pm »

Warsow? A tron like FPS based of a mod of the quake engine.
http://www.warsow.net/

I really enjoy this game at LANs and it is completely fee.