Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Economics and Revolution  (Read 1598 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Economics and Revolution
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 12:10:22 pm »

Of course it's more complex than my 50-word blurb, or your 60-word rejoinder. Just as I didn't see need to discuss foreign backers of the Taliban, you didn't discuss domestic ones. Neither of us tried to definitively pin down who is the Taliban, either, and that makes a very big difference, particularly given the tendency in the western media to lump all resistance to the Kabul government under the heading of "Taliban".

(Though I would point out that my failure to discuss foreign material support of the Taliban was made in the context of strictly discussing popular support thereof. Whether or not a movement receives funding, matériel, or even direction from a foreign power is wholly irrelevant to the question of whether they enjoy the support of the populace...)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:14:46 pm by E. Albright »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 12:40:07 pm »

While America did fund Taliban groups as well, the biggest winners from American aid were less fundamentalist groups.  They formed the national government after the soviets were driven out.  The Taliban only took over after a brutal civil war.  Even then the power remained firmly vested in the local warlords.  Interestingly enough the remnants of the national government that the Taliban overthrew were not completely vanquished.  They held on to some territory and continued their low intensity war against the Taliban as the Northern Alliance.  When the U.S. abruptly returned in 2001, they were the core of the U.S. supported groups that rapidly overthrew the Taliban.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

overlordFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 06:21:53 am »

Ah well, maybe tey're better games for a communist revolution ; _ ;
Pages: 1 [2]