Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dark Dystopia 2 - Postp0ned Stage  (Read 6647 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Dystopia 2 - Reservation Stage
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2009, 01:33:16 am »

Now, a chainsword is just a hell of a lot cooler than an auto-shotgun can ever hope to be unless it shoots tiny katanas (in which case it's a flechette gun). Practical issues aside, any ranged weapon works well only while the enemy is at range. When a horde of anything charges at your sorry ass, you would of course try to take them out from a distance, but as soon as they close in you're going to go for your melee weapons. Because, as Crimsonland has taught us, there is nothing worse than reloading in the middle of a rampaging mutant horde.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2009, 01:52:10 am »

Then make you're shotie be belt-fed. I'll do much more damage with rapid 4 buck than by hacking and slashing.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2009, 01:57:00 am »

Belt fed or no, ammunition runs out. Swords and axes don't. It depends on your skill with either, I guess, but relying completely on just melee or just firearms is equally stupid. You should always have both options. So, bayonets, chainsaw bayonets, and chainswords.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2009, 02:28:16 am »

Yeah, in this, ammo will be a hard problem.

Especially when you waste it.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2009, 02:33:16 am »

I added a surname to my character but you haven't added it to your post.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2009, 02:37:26 am »

I'm just a little caught up in other things right now.

Y'know, vacations, schools, etc.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2009, 08:14:45 am »

[sarcasm]Yeah, some people just have no sense of priorities. I mean, imagine turning down someone who actually wants to be the token cockroaoch on the team...[/sarcasm](once again, the whining WILL stop when the game starts, but that just means that I need to get alot more in before my time runs out.

But seriously, sometimes you want something quiet, reliable, and cheap. If you can sneak up behind someone close enough to stab them without being detected, then do you want a knife or a rifle? My character(unless I get the cockroach) will be happy to try to build a chain-fed gattling shotgun for you, but if we ever find a good use for it then I think that we will have much more to worry about than whether or not melee is viable in a modern setting...

Melee characters will likely always be fighting at close to their maximum abilities. Ranged fighters will probably be holding back most of the time, but if we find ourselves in a desperate situation then they will probably be able to put on an epic show... Snipers probably shouldn't be doing anything if they think that we will win the battle...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2009, 08:23:03 pm »

Hmmm, I post and the thread goes quiet, am I really that ugly?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2009, 01:50:02 am »

Nobody likes cockroaches...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2009, 10:56:10 pm »

Sadly, and uninformatively, I have to postpone DD2.

I have a two week vacation this sunday, and I have to take a series of painful medical injections and tests before I go.

So thusly, DD2 is postponed.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Dystopia 2 - Postp0ned Stage
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2009, 01:06:29 am »

postponed or not I think I'll put up a character

Name: Xalre
Class: Sniper
Stats - Strength : 10 | Agility : 35 | Endurance : 25 | Charisma : 5 | Intelligence : 25 (100 stat points to spend)
Traits:Gunslinger, Steady Hands, Nimble
Notes: Not to good in close range but give him some distance and no matter which direction you run in you won't get far.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2009, 02:07:42 am »

I'm actually thinking of redoing the whole entire system right now.

Probably back to a pixel game.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2009, 09:39:55 am »

Ouch.  Heading out of the country or something?
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2009, 09:51:55 am »

[sarcasm]Yeah, some people just have no sense of priorities. I mean, imagine turning down someone who actually wants to be the token cockroaoch on the team...[/sarcasm](once again, the whining WILL stop when the game starts, but that just means that I need to get alot more in before my time runs out.

But seriously, sometimes you want something quiet, reliable, and cheap. If you can sneak up behind someone close enough to stab them without being detected, then do you want a knife or a rifle? My character(unless I get the cockroach) will be happy to try to build a chain-fed gattling shotgun for you, but if we ever find a good use for it then I think that we will have much more to worry about than whether or not melee is viable in a modern setting...

Melee characters will likely always be fighting at close to their maximum abilities. Ranged fighters will probably be holding back most of the time, but if we find ourselves in a desperate situation then they will probably be able to put on an epic show... Snipers probably shouldn't be doing anything if they think that we will win the battle...

The way I envisioned it is that snipers would also be wielding some kinda of medium range assault rifles as well as pistols so that they could get in a little closer if the need arised.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]