Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Many dwarves, few FPS, and a tribute  (Read 1299 times)

gopher1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Many dwarves, few FPS, and a tribute
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:21:01 pm »

Just completed the twentieth year of my first fortress, a vanilla start with no magma or HFS.  However, it has been a smooth ride with all sieges repelled, only three dwarf deaths, and a total value approaching 10mil.  In my twentieth year, though, I cracked the 300 population limit and decided to erect a monument to my dwarven virility (wait a minute, did I just slam myself?).  I had a soft cap pop limit of 200, but my rabbit dwarves took care of the rest.  I started building at a pop of 305 and finished at a pop of 318.  The result:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For scale effect, a pan to the front courtyard of my fortress from the same vantage point:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The monument is made entirely out of native silver blocks (340 of them), so the total value is about 17K.
The down side is an FPS of 10-11 on both .40d and the beta.  I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 5600+, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, 2GB RAM.  I may end it soon and want to go out with  a bang, but no magma, no running water, and all my dwarves are too stinkin' happy!  Any thoughts?

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Many dwarves, few FPS, and a tribute
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:53:36 pm »

build a bridge over a giant pit somewhere around 20 z-leves deep, recruit something like 100 dwarves (make sure they have friends and relations), station them on the bridge, lock them in the bridge somehow (with vertical bars or doors or ect.) and pull the lever. Watch them plummet to their deaths and then sit back and watch the ensuing tantrum spiral.

Make sure to lock the doors to the dining room or meeting room if you have them.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 09:01:14 pm »

Better than that would be to chuck the dwarves off of the top of the monument.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 12:23:27 am »

15 z levels of scaffolding? Oh my.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 12:57:26 am »

Send all the dwarves to the top for a party and then have a noble pull a lever when he is up there that releases a support...
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 01:26:22 am »

Send all the dwarves to the top for a party and then have a noble pull a lever when he is up there that releases a support...

No. Send all the dwarves on top for a party and just remove the only means of getting down.

Let them starve to death and tantrum up there, every corpse that makes it to the bottom (somehow) shall be remembered for all of time.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 12:10:16 pm »

Let them starve to death and tantrum up there, every corpse that makes it to the bottom (somehow) shall be remembered for all of time.

Last one down is a rotten egg!
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 02:53:49 pm »

Upload the save and let us screw it up FOR you?

gopher1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 05:42:40 pm »

"15 z levels of scaffolding? Oh my. "

Now you tell me....  that's what I had up there finishing the darn thing.  I think it took longer to deconstruct the scaffolding than it did to build the monument.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 05:50:37 pm »

Deconstructing probably takes 10 times longer than constructing. Quite rediculous really.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 08:54:59 pm »

I think it took longer to deconstruct the scaffolding than it did to build the monument.
This is why I am in the habit of building all my scaffolding on supports.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.