Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HFS question (spoilers, obviously)  (Read 973 times)

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HFS question (spoilers, obviously)
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:17:37 pm »

I have a map with the HFS pit in the opposite corner of where I'm building my fortress. I've just finished my curtain wall and have an underground river and a magma pipe so I'm pretty much completely self sufficient at this point and have no real need for trade, immigrants or anything else from outside.

What I want to know is how HFS behaves if you breach the pit from outside your fortress. One scenario I'm thinking is to send a sacrificial miner glassmaker out there to dig a set of stairs straight down into the pits after I've sealed up the fort. Will I then have a force of demons running around the map destroying everything they see?

Another idea is to dig the staircase down to just above the pits, then install a lever operated hatch over the stairway before breaching them. Then when a siege comes I can use the lever inside my fort to release the 'shock troops' as it were.

Will either of these ideas work?

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: HFS question (spoilers, obviously)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 04:23:20 pm »

I know demons will destroy doors, so I believe they will probably destroy a hatch as well.  If you try this idea, make sure your fort is sealed off with drawbridges.

KG

Candlejack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 04:38:44 pm »

I thought they could destroy drawbridges too.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 04:46:01 pm »

Seal your fort in with obsidian.  :D
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 04:53:45 pm »

OK. Well, glad I experimented with a copy of my fort.

On the plus side it looks like releasing the demons means you have an ambushing force waiting for someone to kill. On the minus side I forgot about a backdoor entrance AND forgot right next to that entrance was a door holding back a river. On the plus side I recruited my entire force of 80 dwarves, many of which were super buffed from endless partying. On the minus side it didn't work and the little green demons tore through my militia quite easily.

"Your strength is broken."

All in all good Fun and potential for *so* much more.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 06:11:27 pm »

Scarpa, be weary, I heard some demons can fly. Spirits of Fire I think. So careful. Replace door with wall, much better.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 09:03:04 pm »

green? so you've got frog demons. i wonder if the entire population of them will survive 2 goblin sieges.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 10:51:25 pm »

I think I'm going to setup a siege trap with these guys. My plan is to dig out a room directly above the demons, then dig a long winding path to that room. Some well placed bridges, supports, constructions, levers and one chained kitten will serve to trap the goblins in with the demons and then I can see who wins.

I have dealt with been annihilated by SoF before, so I'm pretty sure I can take these frog guys as long as I'm prepared.