Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Map Request  (Read 697 times)

Thomas Winwood

• Bay Watcher
  • Monomath
    • View Profile
Map Request
« on: June 21, 2009, 07:38:57 pm »

I'm none too good at gaming the worldgen system into giving me what I want; I've got some slightly picky wishes for what I want out of an embark spot, and the site finder can only go so far, so I'm hoping that the forum can help out by lending your spare time and generating my embark spot for me. (I'm running 40d11.)

My embark spot should be of medium temperature, not too evil or too savage. It should have a magma pipe, a decent-sized obsidian layer and running water (the bigger the better!).

The issue is that my system is not very fast, so for the sake of my framerate this has to be in a space of about 4x4-5x5 squares in size. To get this would take a while if I were working solo, so I'm hoping by asking here I can speed up the process.
U+203C DOUBLE EXCLAMATION MARK (‼) is the Dwarf Fortress symbol for fire, not two instances of U+0021 EXCLAMATION MARK (!!).

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Re: Map Request
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 08:55:09 pm »

This old embark by Inaluct springs to mind. Found it when I was looking for something similar.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Thomas Winwood

• Bay Watcher
  • Monomath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 07:32:59 am »

That's nice, but I'd rather have an open-air river than an underground one, and I definitely don't want a chasm.
U+203C DOUBLE EXCLAMATION MARK (‼) is the Dwarf Fortress symbol for fire, not two instances of U+0021 EXCLAMATION MARK (!!).

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 07:54:19 am »

Does an aquifer count as running water? does it have to be neutral or is good also an option? I do have a map with a huge river and a magma pool that's neutral, but it's filled with carp and is a bit hot.

Thomas Winwood

• Bay Watcher
  • Monomath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 10:03:51 am »

No, aquifers don't count as running water. Good is a potential option; the main thing I want to avoid is unicorns.

Also, magma pool? Those don't refill, hence my specifying a magma pipe.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 03:23:08 pm »

Unicorns are harmless and are a great resource for the most pathetic of hunters

I would just gen a big world and look at volcano locations, temperate and mild aren't uncommon
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Sourlout

• Bay Watcher
  • L-l-l-ook at you hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 07:06:40 pm »

You do know that the flow calculations done for magma pipes and rivers are one of the reasons why it is recommend to not have them.  Hence, the previous poster suggestion of having a magma pool and using an aquifer. It allows for higher frame rates. (But, I prefer unlimited magma to FPS)

Also, you should look at the wikipedia page for a couple of locations.  I remember there was one location/map where there was a magma pool situated between two or three massive rivers, but I think the temperature was warm.... and probably not obsidian.

On that note, you don't need obsidian stone when you have unlimited water and magma as you can create your own.  This is both fun and dangerous.  I highly recommend it.

I'll post again with a couple of maps that are fun for your purpose. 

Thomas Winwood

• Bay Watcher
  • Monomath
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 07:18:12 pm »

You do know that the flow calculations done for magma pipes and rivers are one of the reasons why it is recommend to not have them.  Hence, the previous poster suggestion of having a magma pool and using an aquifer. It allows for higher frame rates. (But, I prefer unlimited magma to FPS)
As do I (plus so far as I can tell the flow calculations aren't a problem).

On that note, you don't need obsidian stone when you have unlimited water and magma as you can create your own.  This is both fun and dangerous.  I highly recommend it.
Mainly I just like digging into the obsidian and having lots of it available rather than having to make it on demand. I can always go for the magma/water mixer later when I have a fortress which doesn't consist of just a pile of booze outside a small hole in the wall.

Thanks for your help, anyway.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 08:56:55 pm »

My embark spot should be of medium temperature, not too evil or too savage. It should have a magma pipe, a decent-sized obsidian layer and running water (the bigger the better!).
Open up world_gen.txt (it's in the init folder) and copy, paste and rename the world you're using as a base. Then go through it and take a look at the numbers in any entry that contains the strings _COUNTS or _RANGES, and at PEAK_NUMBER_MIN, OCEAN_EDGE_MIN, and VOLCANO_MIN. These entries force a minimum number of each type of square by rejecting any world that doesn't have enough of all specified types of square. For example, if you don't want any glaciers and raise the minimum temperature to stop them from forming, then you need to lower the minimum glacier square count to 0. If you don't, then the game will reject every generated world for not having enough glaciers.

Go ahead and turn all of these numbers to 0 and forget about them, except for VOLCANO_MIN (finding mountain and magma together is a pain if you don't have volcanoes). If you manage to generate a world with all your essential features and nothing else, it's generally easier to tweak the worldgen parameters directly to get those extras than to wait for the RNG to spit out something acceptable.

Big running water is relatively easy. Turn up both the numbers in RIVER_MINS until you see major rivers during worldgen. The figures appear to be set quite low by default, and can be doubled as a starting point.

Savagery and evil are also uncomplicated to tweak once the minimum square counts are removed. If all you want from those settings is a lack of unicorns, then raising the minimum level of Evil will reduce or even eliminate Good areas. Don't go too far though. Dwarves, humans, and elves won't settle in Evil areas.

Do you have the map rejects log enabled in the init file?

Late edit: Never mind parts of the above. The GOOD_SQ_COUNTS and EVIL_SQ_COUNTS create good and evil tiles as well as controlling the rejections. So setting them all to 0 will create a neutral world, but it doesn't work in the same way as anything else that has square counts.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 07:26:20 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.