Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slow-growing Fortress and the Nobles?  (Read 1242 times)

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slow-growing Fortress and the Nobles?
« on: June 13, 2009, 01:09:56 am »

To combat the slow FPS my forts always have from too many immigrants, and to make tantrum spirals a lot more common and awesome, my next fort will have no immigration by setting my population cap to 0. Obviously I'm gonna have to turn the Orcs off.
Anyways, if after 30 years or so my fort grows to over 90 dwarves, can a baron still arrive even with no immigration?
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Slow-growing Fortress and the Nobles?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 01:12:39 am »

I think population cap means no immigrants and no babies... so the nobles shouldn't even so much as trigger.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 03:27:58 am »

This requires testing.

My conjecture: you'd probably still get the nobility, so long as you get the caravan, even if your fortress grew from the original seven.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 05:23:06 am »

I thought that a cap of 0 didn't work because it was too small...

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 09:04:01 am »

I thought that a cap of 0 didn't work because it was too small...

In my experience a pop cap of 0 works fine. You still get occasional immigrant waves containing a single immigrant though (seems like a bug). This seems to happen irrespective of what the pop cap is set to. Just kill them or let them starve.

If you don't want babies, there is another cap setting for that.

I take the alternate approach and start as a dead dwarven civ. This means no immigrants and no dwarven caravan/liason (ever). Remember to take an anvil and seeds if you do this. I have no idea what happens with nobles for an extinct civ because generation forts take forever. I'll post when I find out.

If you're planning on a generation fort, check you have a balanced male/female ratio on embark. It is possible to embark with all male or female dwarves which makes repopulating the world a bit problematic.

serephe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 09:10:18 am »

Wouldn't 1 male and 6 females be most efficient for repopulating the world?

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 09:21:27 am »

I think only married dwarves procreate. Therefore, the male will marry a female and the five other females will never be pregnant. Best would be 3 male, 4 female.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 09:36:13 am »

Realistically, It would, if you ignore the bad inbreeding and that marriage is required for dwarves to even be able to make babies.

Or you just get one noble wife, she will make enough babies for a city

serephe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 10:09:59 am »

Weird. Thats not how I'd run things. Getting laid by 6 women is more important than marriage. Even if they are Dwarven women.

Actually to some people the fact that they're Dwarves would probably be a turn-on.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 02:43:14 pm »

I believe in the game "Black and White" it was fairly standard practise to turn all your non warrior men into breeders (most of the soldiers ended up getting killed anyway) and have the women do the work.  Mainly because they had no concept of marriage.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 08:25:09 pm »

I think population cap means no immigrants and no babies... so the nobles shouldn't even so much as trigger.

You do in fact get babies.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 11:09:05 pm »

You get immigrants, I got 3 immigrants and i had my popcap set to 0. It kinda works because you really start wishing you had some migrants after about a year.
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 12:43:20 am »

Even if you are already at your pop cap, you still get nobles.  Of course, you need to fulfill the requirements first (e.g. if your pop cap is 80 and you hit 80 dwarves, then do the required stuff, you will still get a baron/baroness, consort, tax collector, and hammerer).
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 05:59:12 am »

In my latest fort there seems to be no dwarven caravans nor migrants. Pop cap is set at 50, baby_child cap is 25:1000 (don't really know what that means). Anyways, i'm three years in (and orcs yearly siege me in large numbers, goblins are maybe even more a pain in the ass because of their sneaky ambushes), got three couples, sadly no marriages though. I'm doing pretty well but i would also like to eventually have at least more then seven dwarves. I'm guessing their won't be any nobles migrating here though, although it showed "dwarves" as one of the civs at embark. Dunno.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 11:21:24 am »

In my latest fort there seems to be no dwarven caravans nor migrants. Pop cap is set at 50, baby_child cap is 25:1000 (don't really know what that means). Anyways, i'm three years in (and orcs yearly siege me in large numbers, goblins are maybe even more a pain in the ass because of their sneaky ambushes), got three couples, sadly no marriages though. I'm doing pretty well but i would also like to eventually have at least more then seven dwarves. I'm guessing their won't be any nobles migrating here though, although it showed "dwarves" as one of the civs at embark. Dunno.

It's possible for your group to be the last surviving remnant of the dwarven empire, meaning no immagrants, nobles or caravans.