Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Request manager  (Read 366 times)

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Request manager
« on: June 15, 2009, 01:18:22 pm »

We all know one annoying part of the nobles is their constant whining that they want something.

I was wondering if it would be reasonable to have one dwarf (treasurer?, mayor?, someone else like scribe?) also respond to requests from nobles. You could define allowed materials to be used, and maybe items to be produced some how, and then when your noble requires "produce 2 helms", the noble would have a meeting with the dwarf in question, who would then create a job order of it based on your allowances (like material used, or what to prouce if the question is "make gold items" type). The job order would then proceed as normal.

This special dwarf (scribe?, someone else) could even come later in game, like Baron, so untill then you must solve then requests yoursef. Then you can delegate them, and you won't have to stop your work every time some noble mandates something.

Maybe this dwarf (scribe), could also listen to normal dwarfs desires, and create a production orders for them. Like if every dwarf is without shoes, and they constantly complain to him about it, he could order creation of 30 shoes, so dwarfs could buy them.
Right now I have really hard time telling what my dwarfs would like to buy in the shops, so something like this could help.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Request manager
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 04:39:00 pm »

Mandates are arbitrary and video gamey, if anything they should be done away with in favor of something that makes sense. Having the Bookkeeper relay lacking necessities would be nice though. An estimate on how long the existing supplies will last would be nice as well, higher skill levels yielding better accuracy

I don't much care for automated production orders. Being able to grant the Bookkeeper's recommendation with the press of a button would be more convenient but does carry some inherent difficulties for the AI. For instance, how does the AI decide between rope reed and GCS silk? When making swords for the troops, what's stopping it from making wooden ones? If you can't make the stuff, how is ordering it from a caravan handled?

I do like the idea of regular dwarves asking for things. Especially for the more meaningful fare such as garb in their favorite color for festivities or specifically tailored traditional outfits and trinkets for weddings and other special events. Personally I'm fond of the idea of dwarves swapping small lockets inlined with the spouse's favorite metal, containing intertwined locks of each other's hair. I'm not sure what kind of gameplay benefit a good wedding would confer though or how to handle the production itself. Socially important people should probably ask for higher quality workmanship

Nobles would throw people in jail if the demand isn't met, depending on personality and cultural matters. Instead of picking at random, the game could check whether the materials are available to determine whether it's the trader's or the bookkeeper's fault they didn't get their red GCS silk attire for the New Year's. From what I understand, we'll be able to appoint a baron of our own so there might be an actual incentive to cater to them. After all, the baron is probably your favorite dwarf or otherwise distinquished
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 04:44:53 pm by Pilsu »