Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: V.A.T.S. Style aiming in adventure mode  (Read 898 times)

Turnip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
V.A.T.S. Style aiming in adventure mode
« on: June 17, 2009, 09:22:50 am »

I would like it if you could aim at a character in adventure mode, and have it bring up a screen listing major body parts and the probability of hitting them, and maybe having it so you can queue it to fire several times?
It would be a nice thing because the random hits with ranged weapons is rather annoying.
And (because of various programming quirks) dwarves are kinda stupid. Granted, so are the other races. But still.
And yet these stupid dwarves are going to eventually make a nuclear weapon out of cheese and basalt.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: V.A.T.S. Style aiming in adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 10:11:38 am »

Although I enjoy the RNG at times in adventure mode I cant help but think that a real Legendary archer should aim to kill and stop shooting foes in weird non fatal places. Now that proper armour is going in it would pay to shoot for weak points   in their defences. On those notes this idea makes sense, also your skill with a bow, distance from your victim and the lighting conditions should play a major part in determining your accuracy in these shots.

On the topic of accuracy, if you went for someone's upper body and missed, it would still have the possibility of hitting arms, heads, the lower body and necks rather than simply missing all together. Once your accuracy is so good you'd be able to hit the specified area most of the time but still get some weighted yet random results and rely on hitting general areas.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: V.A.T.S. Style aiming in adventure mode
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 12:19:39 pm »

Body parts are, of course, getting completely reworked in the next version.

As for aiming for specific parts, it makes sense, and can't you already do this with wrestling moves? So perhaps there's some existing code that could be leveraged...
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels