Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Storage Pit (Z level goods transfer)  (Read 1073 times)

DrMorbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Storage Pit (Z level goods transfer)
« on: June 18, 2009, 10:21:47 am »

I would like to see a special stockpile which you designate over a pit/channel/hole.

For example, you have a shaft from the ground surface down 5 z levels.  The surface is designated as a wood pit.  Wood cutters chop wood and toss it down the hole.  At the bottom of the shaft could be a wood stockpile.

With a lot of micromanagement, this can be done by dumping and claiming items.  Even so, garbage dumps are not item specific.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Storage Pit (Z level goods transfer)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 10:26:32 am »

We can use the ordinary stockpiles, if only we could designate them over emptiness. That would help with selective garbage disposal too, if you designate stockpiles of the particular unwanted material over a chasm/lava pipe of your choice.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 11:45:01 am »

I quite like this suggestion. I have used dumping in the past to simulate this for a number of things but it always felt like an exploit having hundreds or thousands of things on one tile.

I doubt it would be a popular suggestion due to performance concerns but having objects stack like lava does when confined might make things like this more realistic and avoid people abusing it. Hopefully it would pile up better and not spread under the same circumstances as lava though. Luckily Toady has mentioned sliding down a pile of bones in the dev notes I believe so stacking items might be possible in the future.

I cant help but liking the idea of having a huge pile of coins and other treasures in my dragons lair for him to lay on.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 09:12:03 pm »

Yeah, we'd need to fix the quantum stockpile problem first.