Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: attacking friendlies  (Read 924 times)

DarkSim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
attacking friendlies
« on: June 10, 2009, 04:28:59 pm »

With the new update bringing in a method to issue attack orders to dwarves, do you (the community) think it should be possible to attack friendlies/traders/anything/pets not just hostiles? But have it maybe cause a severe unhappy thought for alot of dwarves in the command chain if you murder one of your own dwarves/nobles.

any thoughts?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: attacking friendlies
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 07:28:58 pm »

YES

The power of life and death (but mostly death) should be directly in every player's hands.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 01:51:51 pm »

Yeah, why not. It makes sense I guess. Either way, this has been suggested already.  ;)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 02:42:12 pm »

I think toady has stated that he'll be adding an "Attack X" command in the next release. Surely this would include friendlies (hopefully with an 'are you sure you want to attack this friendly' message).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 03:03:16 pm »

I think toady has stated that he'll be adding an "Attack X" command in the next release. Surely this would include friendlies (hopefully with an 'are you sure you want to attack this friendlyTook you long enough, pansy' message).
Fix'd

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 05:42:04 pm »

HELL YES!

Feel the wrath of the axelord, vain elfling!
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 04:36:25 pm »

If you could designate friendlies with this command, it would make dealing with nobles a whole lot faster!  :D

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 05:18:26 pm »

I think that attacking friendlies should be possible, but with significant side effects.  Either the squad commander or the entire squad that attacked a friendly should immediately have something like a [HOMICIDAL] tag in the saves.  Either they would need to run away from the fortress, or perform a coup of the current hierarchy of leadership.
Computer says 'No'.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 03:51:28 pm »

Yes and no. Friendly creatures such as merchants should be attackable at the player's whim. Civilians, no. If you want to execute someone for a trumped-up charge, you should be required to use the justice system

Killing off nobles on purpose should be an official act of rebellion, not just a matter of the player not liking the guy and CTRL Aing him with the nearest dwarves. The Fortress Guard would move to detain the nobles and the player would be presented with the options of banishing the lot or simply executing them. Executions as a whole should be a bit more elaborate while we're at it

If immigrants ever start using wagons instead of trekking in the wilderness for weeks with no supplies, the nobles probably shouldn't be sent out empty handed unless you want them to die naked in the middle of nowhere. Shaving and sending the murderer baron out to make friends with the snow storm naked would be more successful than sending him out in the spring when he might come across help