Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gladiator Arena  (Read 573 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Gladiator Arena
« on: June 09, 2009, 02:41:52 pm »

I'm getting to the point where one of these is pretty neccessary, so here's my newbie questions again.

1.  How do I move the cages to the arena?

I've been toying with the idea of having my arena above ground, but only accessible from below.  This would allow me to have an execution tower overlooking the arena.

2a.  How do I throw goblins off the tower (and can I choose the direction?)
2b.  What would happen to a goblin/dwarf if a goblin was to land on him after falling from a great height?

There's two ways I'd like to go with this.

1.  A goblin is locked in a cage atop a high and windy tower and forced to watch his comrades being mercilessly slaughtered before being tossed off the tower and crushing his skull on a mountain of corpses.

Or even cooler.

2.  Urist McRecruit is fighting his first goblin in the arena.  After showing a pitiful lack of skill, his captain takes pity on the rookie and distracts the goblin by throwing it's friend of a huge tower so it crumples beside him.  Taking advantage of this, Urist lunges forward and decapitates the creature, signifying his acceptance into the ranks of the military.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gladiator Arena
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:55:09 pm »

To put cages in the arena, just "build" the cage (b->j) in there. Then maybe hook all the cages up to one lever to unleash the combatants at once.

To drop POWs in there - I just figured this out myself - build a tower overlooking the arena and designate the air right next to the edge of the tower as a Pit. Under the preferences for the Pit (right after you designate it) you can select what creatures are supposed to go in there. Your dwarves should drop them in.

I have no idea what happens if they land on each other. It's your job to find out and report it, for science.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 06:31:37 pm »

Cheers :)

On a similar subject, are dwarves/other creatures harmed by rocks falling on their heads?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 06:36:05 pm »

I don't think so, I've channeled over a dining hall and haven't gotten any injuries from falling rocks. Cave ins are a whole different matter though.

AFAIK, the stonefall traps are the only case where rocks falling on thier heads would hurt them.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 06:38:31 pm »

Oh well, that's one idea down the drain.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 07:25:50 pm »

2b.  What would happen to a goblin/dwarf if a goblin was to land on him after falling from a great height?

Supposedly the other creature acts as a cushion and neither creatures are harmed.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 03:18:07 pm »

That's pretty cool actually.

Imagine a single square arena..."Incoming Gobbo!"

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 03:31:21 pm »

I don't think so, I think they wouldn't affect eachother in any way. As said before, try it and report here to expand our knowledge of the DF universe!
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 03:38:25 pm »

Will do!

Expect an answer soon :)

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 03:43:03 pm »

Thanks in advance :D
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.