Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ambush/Hillfort  (Read 1180 times)

Aquilegia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ambush/Hillfort
« on: June 10, 2009, 01:21:28 pm »

So my first fortress survived building a well from a river (stupid dwarves had suspended building a part of the wall of the reservoir, but luckily I noticed it in time so i could shut the floodgates, before the entire fortress was flooded), but now I'm getting my second ambush in a very short time and I still haven't got a good military (only legendary wrestlers).

The entrance to my fortress is guarded quite well, with bridges, moats, traps, chained dogs and fortifications (for when I've trained some marksdwarves), but I lost 3 dwarves to the ambushers before I found out how to manually evacuate them :(

So I thought of the next scheme, with below the layout of my fortress

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I removed all the ramps around the hill and channeled parts of the hill to separate it from the map edges, so theoretically only my dwarves can access the upper part of the hill(with the trees and other things to do outside).

Now my question: Will ambushers spawn on top of this inaccessible hill, spoiling my plan?

and: Is there a way to see which dwarves are currently outside, without looking at every part of the map/checking every dwarf?

Thanks very much

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ambush/Hillfort
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 01:40:30 pm »

I'm not sure whether enemies will spawn on top of your hill.  Is the hill touching the edge of the map?  It appears they always spawn at some map edge.

As to your military, a half dozen legendary wrestlers can handle pretty much anything the goblins can throw at you until you have armed dwarves ready.

And for your dwarves being outside, go to orders and set it to military can go outside.  This orders all non-military dwarves to come inside, where hopefully you're protecting them.

Aquilegia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 02:02:03 pm »

The hill touches the edge, so I channeled there..

About the dwarves-go-inside.. I tried that, but some where still cut-off before reaching the entrance, so I try to set their route manually.. the problem is that I didn't spot them all : (

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 02:07:56 pm »

The hill touches the edge, so I channeled there..

About the dwarves-go-inside.. I tried that, but some where still cut-off before reaching the entrance, so I try to set their route manually.. the problem is that I didn't spot them all : (

As far as I know, if you've channeled away the edge, the enemies shouldn't be able to spawn there...might be wrong on that one, but I don't think they will.

As to your dwarves, if they aren't following orders, either:
a) Let them run from the enemies and hope for the best.
b) Draft then, station their squad inside the fortress.

Go with the second if you want your dwarves to have ANY chance after the enemies attack them.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 02:19:34 pm »

Remember, if you Draft the dwarves that you want INSIDE the fortress, make sure their CHASE ENEMY tag is OFF, otherwise they'll just charge the enemy.

I always get some Dwarves who just freeze up when I set Soldiers only go outside, and I don't know why. I lost 3 dwarves that way, they just froze up and wouldn't move. I have a meeting zone set up :c

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 02:41:51 pm »

In your setup, yes it should work. However, make SURE they get inside ASAP if the enemy has marksgoblins.

ronin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 03:29:50 pm »

Yes it will work.  I've used this technique to gradually expand my forts until they have taken over the entire map, leaving the nasty little gobbos only a thin slice of land to invade, and then I mow them down with legendary crossbow dwarves.   ;D :D ;) :) ::)