Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: in adventure mode, reports of hidden combat flood screen  (Read 1084 times)

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile
in adventure mode, reports of hidden combat flood screen
« on: June 14, 2009, 07:01:53 am »

Combat text for combats that are not visible to the adventurer, but happening in the area, are flooding the screen.

As i adventure to the abandoned fortress, overrun by some creatures, I can see on my screen all the combats that are taking place, and all the creature that die while I am there.

It would be better to have a marker that says that you can hear some combat sounds and the directions that they are in, rather then flooding the screen with non-player combat reports.

It would be good to lists screams of other creatures and what voice it is that screams.  But stop the text flooding of the player screen with non relevant combat information, that the character is not part of.

We found the zirilid stream

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: in adventure mode, reports of hidden combat flood screen
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 01:06:00 pm »

Yes.

Like he said, "You hear combat from the north!" would be a million and twelve times more useful and logical than "Captain Ironblood throws down the Hydra by its left foot, third toe!
It's spleen is bruised!"
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 02:32:33 pm »

Sounds good but what if theres a battle with about 100 creatures would this come up: You hear combat to the southx100?

I think at a certain amount of fighting it should be something like: you hear a small skirmish,skirmish, large skirmish, small battle,battle,large battle ect ect ect.
WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 02:52:59 pm »

Yeah, not just masking over individual messages with "You hear combat ____" but turns.

I like the skirmish/battle/etc. How about:

2 combatants: a duel
3-5: a fight
6-15: a skirmish
16-30: a battle
30+: a war
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 01:51:59 am »

although generalizing would be good, wouldn't it have to take into account various directions? by this i mean if theres combat going on below/above/north/south/east/west and other directions etc, it'd also have to take that into account.

you'd often end up with "you hear a battle raging forth in the north/northwest/northeast", not taking z levels into account as well